Raheel Ramzanali: Catching up with Former Houston Cougar basketball player and CEO of Active Faith Sports Lanny Smith

What was it like seeing the Cougars go on their run this season?

This season was so much fun. UH Cougars have a special place in my heart as I took so much pride in being a hometown kid that stayed home and played during an era when all of our top Houston players were leaving and going to other schools. It meant something more to me to have that HOUSTON across my chest. Funny thing is Coach Sampson was recruiting me when he was the coach at Oklahoma and he offered me a scholarship. I turned him down and stayed home to play at UH. We laugh about that now. But he has been amazing as far as inviting me to be around the program. I’m at practices, I speak to the players and have a big brother type of role with the team. So it was even more exciting to watch the Cougars have the season that they had. I was there at the tournament and in the locker room after that heartbreaking shot. Still hurts to see the pain in the guys’ faces. They worked so hard and played so well and have put UH back on the map and in the National conversation. I’m so excited about where this program is headed and the future and being able to still be connected and be part of it.

1 Like

“Let basketball be what you do, not who you are.” What a wise young man Lanny Smith is. One could argue he’s done more to advance the reputation of UH basketball through his post-playing career than he would have if his NBA dream had come true. I always loved watching him when he was here as a player, but had no idea until much later what a quality guy he was.

2 Likes