Ranked in both polls

I’m wondering why we are ranked below a few of the team’s above us. WVU has 8 losses with only 1 good win, Tennessee and Michigan have 7 with only a few good wins (basically as good as ours), and Nevada really doesn’t have many good wins, pretty much RI and that’s it. I know 3 of our losses are bad but 2 of those were really early season, that should mean something. Seems kind of weird to me

1 Like

…and we’d also probably have three or four more losses, and be on the bubble.

Only two of our losses are bad. LSU was a Q1 loss, and it was close at that. The Tulane loss is unfortunate because of the extenuating circumstances, but we won’t get a pass on it because of those. The Drexel loss is a head scratcher, but as you said, it was really early.

Bracketmatrix, which compiles basically every bracket on the web, has us as a #7 as of today. The most accurate bracketologist over the last five years (Bracketville) has us a six, but acknowledged that there are a lot of comparable teams in the middle, making the middle hard to seed, and I kind of agree. Jerry Palm and Lunardi are two of the more well known bracketologist and both have us as a 9 today. Palm objectively isn’t very good at this when you look at their tracked results at prognosticating (he dropped us after our Temple win!). He seems to get too hung up on old ideas and not adapt. Lunardi is okay and was one of the best at this several years ago, but he’s been selling us short for a bit. His having Lville ahead of us on Friday with their 1 RPI top 50 win was incomprehensible. I think/hope he’s wrong about us.

You think WVU only has 1 good win though??? They have 6 Q1 wins, including a win over the number 1 team in the country.

If we were scheduled to play the first round against Texas in Dallas, it would be the first time I’ve ever traveled to see a first round game.

2 Likes

We moved up 10 spots. That is quite a bit this late in the season. If we keep winning, we will continue to move past teams that were way ahead of us but you shouldn’t expect going from being unranked to being ranked 15th in one week. That just doesn’t happen 25 games into the season.

I promise this is the last time I say this. Why care so much about our position in voting polls when they have absolutely nothing to do with conference tourney seeding or ncaa tourney seeding? Just keep your eyes on our RPI and BPI.

National relevance and better recruits come from NCAA tourney wins. Not from AP voters approval.

3 Likes

I don’t really see anything that impressive other than Virginia, they beat OU twice while they were ranked but they have since plummeted, who else? OSU? TCU? UT? Sure, I guess that’s ok…

It comes from both. Teams that are ranked are going to do well in recruiting, and they’re always in the tournament discussion.

1 Like

I’d be right there with you! Frankly, I bet a lot of fans would make that drive.

2 Likes

texas is 6-8 in conference play. In my opinion, they shouldn’t be invited if they finish with a losing conference record unless they win their conference tournament.

3 Likes

They’ve got basically 9 wins against teams that would be in the tourney today or might just barely miss it (Mizzou, Virginia, OU X 2, Baylor, TCU, Texas, KState X 2). Two of those were on the road and one of those was on a neutral court. They also demolished UCF on a neutral court when Tacko Fall was still playing. They also don’t have a single sub rpi-100 loss, though they lost at home to #100 Ok State. WVU has a really legit resume.

For whatever reason, I thought you were referring to that Yahoo bracket originally rather than the poll. I don’t have a huge issue with where we are at in the polls. I’d probably have us ahead of Michigan, St. Mary’s and Rhode Island, but it’s not a huge deal. What bothers me more is showing up as a 9 or so right now on some national bracket projections.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Tireman4/status/965717645470437377
https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/status/965718034949255170

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021918aac.html

Once a staple in the Top 25 during the Elvin Hayes-led days of the late 1960s and the Phi Slama Jama era of the early 1980s, UH has spent only three weeks in the national rankings since finishing as national runner-up in 1983-84. It was ranked No. 25 for two weeks in 1992 and for one week in 2005.

“(Being ranked) is something that we would like to be a standard in our program going forward,” Sampson said.

In the meantime, Sampson said the Cougars won’t get caught up in the rankings when they play at Memphis on Thursday.

“It’s an accomplishment, but I don’t know if you take it any further than that though,” he said.

What I LOVE about this team is how they play on defense.

Ranked 7th nationally in field goal percentage at 39%
Ranked 10th in rebound margin at 7.5
Ranked 18th in scoring avg at 64.6

The help defense is great and the hustle is there (diving for loose balls no matter the score).
That kind of ball gets you a few wins in the post season.

3 Likes

UH #24.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-kansas-win-sets-up-huge-game-in-big-12-vs-texas-tech/

and the curse continues …

1 Like

I need to stop saying things like this.

3 Likes

Shaggy, go sit in the corner until we start winning again.

1 Like

At least I’ll be more productive at work now. And get back to some books I need to finish.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/SHPawdcast/status/967059968657682432