Rate the Last Movie You Watched

Gang,

Just saw “Alita” today at Alamo Drafthouse. Definitely worth a look! Imagine a movie that combines Robocop, A.I., Blood of Heroes, and Star Trek: First Contact, with a “blood sport” that is essentially a cross between the ancient Meso-American ballgame, and the roller derby!

1 Like

So it’s good for kids? :smile:

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ve been torn on this one, but been hearing good things about it.

Timmy,

Not sure. It has some foul language and some pretty serious violence.

I’m sure that it’s fine for junior high kids and above, but it’s not really intended for little kids.

It’s more of an older kid and adult movie.

Captain Marvel was really well done. If this is how you roll you won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

I’m combining the Captain Marvel and Alita threads and changing the title to “Rate the Last Movie You Watched.” Seen it on other forums and I think it might spark discussion.

As far me, I finally got around to seeing Avengers: Infinity War, Antman and Wasp, and Jurassic World 2 this week.

Avengers: IW was great; and I thought they did a great job handling all the characters and still making the movie interesting. I know where the story is going as I read the comics (although not the same beats), but it was still engaging.

Antman and Wasp was a bit silly at times and I don’t think the humor hit as well as the first one, but I thought the action scenes were top notch, especially with Wasp. The one where she pops out the back window of the SUV, swings around and comes through the front window was incredible.

Jurassic World 2 was basically a mindless monster flick. A lot of it didn’t make sense when you think about it and the story is eh. Still, the dinosaurs are cool and they actually set up the next one well. Just hope they have better writers.

In the theater? Last one I saw was Thor Ragnarok. (I don’t watch too many movies). I’m not a big fan of the super hero movies, but I absolutely loved this one. I’ve since seen it three or four times at home. Great flick, had me in stitches throughout.

2 Likes

Apollo 11
Excellent movie that brought back lots of memories of the glory days of NASA.

1 Like

Ready Player One:

Meh… it was ok. I hear the book is much better that it is based on.

Saw the documentary about WWI. It was great although it centered around the British army.
Saw a chinese movie about the end of the world. Not bad although it was all subtitles and the science they proposed was really out of someone’s vivid imagination.

1 Like

Went and saw the new Hellboy movie last night. Wife was a big fan of the two original movies; I had never seen them.

This one was decent. Frenetic pacing hurt it a bit as they were whipping around locations so fast it was hard to really get a feel for the characters. Still, the action was good and Harbour did do a good job once they slowed down a bit to actually focus on the Hellboy character a bit.

There is a lot of gratuitous gore in this including one extended scene near the end.

They also set up a sequel with the end credit scene.

All in all, it was Ok. If they do a sequel, hopefully they slow it down a bit and focus on the characters a bit more. Wife was happy so that’s all that mattered to me.

Endgame was a bit confusing for me. Left satisfied though. Credits went on and on and on to the final clang clang.

I suspect Hellboy like James Bond and Lisbeth Salander (girl with the dragon tatoo) will be played by several actors … you like the character and hope whoever is portraying them will do a good job …

Claire Foy did a decent Lisbeth Salander however the story (Girl in the Spider Web) started like molasses but picked up about a 1/3 way through the movie …

1 Like

I don’t go to the movies; however, I do watch a few on Netflix and Amazon.

Them most recent movie I’ve seen was on Netflix, The Highwaymen with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson playing a couple of Texas Rangers responsible for killing Bonnie and Clyde.

I thought it was excellent.

This summer, I plan to see The Avengers, Tolkien, and the new Downton Abbey movie at some point.

Endgame was good in my opinion. Dont think any other ending would have been as good. 9/10. I think they rushed Hawkeyes story

Went and saw Captain Marvel yesterday before it left theaters and I needed to see it before seeing Endgame (haven’t seen it yet).

Solid movie. Thought Brie Larson and Samuel L Jackson had great chemistry and the movie filled in some MCU lore. I’m also from the time period so a lot of the references and the sound track were right on target for me.

I thought Capt. Marvel was good as well, but it wasn’t quite the knockout kind of movie I was expecting for the most powerful character in the MCU. Endgame, however, was excellent, one of the absolute best comic book films I have seen.

It’s interesting how movies and TV have practically switched. Now your movies are often comic book fare, and I’m not disrespecting that genre. I’ve really enjoyed some films. But film as art and with more complex plots and themes is thriving on TV with programs like GOT, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Sopranos, Handmaid’s Tale, etc., shows that are a cut above most any movie that has been produced nowadays. The public told Hollywood it wanted big superhero movies, and so that’s where the $$$ are now directed. It’s unlikely you’ll see another Godfather II or Shawshank Redemption or There Will Be Blood anytime soon. What you may see is an HBO series on the mafia, a Netflix series on prison life, and a Showtime series on a ruthless oil man’s rise to power in the early 20th century. Some individual episodes of GOT and a couple of others are better, IMO, than 99% of the movies that get produced today, or at least better at different things.

3 Likes

There’s a new Bio movie on J.R.R. Tolkien coming out. That might be the type of movie that you say we won’t be seeing anytime soon.

We’ll see!

We’ll still see biopics, which really aren’t in the same category as Godfather II or what have you. There was the Freddie Mercury movie, and one on Elton John is coming out soon. I’m looking forward to seeing the one on Tolkien, who was also a Beowulf scholar; in fact, I use his book, The Monsters and the Critics. Also looking forward to seeing the new Shakespeare film in which Kenneth Branagh plays Shakespeare, but I think it will probably have a limited release.