Reckless Speculation: Where Might Big 12 Teams Go Next if They Leave?

Agreed.

2 Likes

There will be alot of crying in Waco, as Baylor would have a problem filling their stadiumā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t think they survive as a P5. Have always thought that in the end it will be P4 and everybody else.

1 Like

If OU and UT (and Kansas) leave, itā€™ll just be the Big East redux. Itā€™s possible they hang on as a P5 for a bit as Iā€™m not sure what the rules are in regards to pulling autonomy from a conference. Iā€™d imagine there would be a court battle in regards to that and Iā€™m sure the money in Waco would be happy to lead the charge.

Would also be interesting to see what kind of TV contract a Non-OU, UT, KU conference could fetch. Adding Cincy, Houston, BYU, and the 2 Florida schools would make it a decent conferenceā€¦just no ā€œblue-bloodsā€ to carry it. Would ESPN try to ā€œkillā€ the conferenceā€¦would FOX or any other entity? Hard to tell as live sports are becoming more and more important to TV channels and thereā€™s still some value in that collection of schoolsā€¦just not the value that it has currently.

1 Like

I donā€™t think ESPN would try to kill such a Big East Redo Conference, but they would certainly try to kill any Big 12 obligations any one claimed that ESPN has towards the new Big 12.

Lets face it, its OU and Texas that makes that market for them, everyone else on the football side are slot fillers.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a big IF. Iā€™m not so sure the Big 12 will die for reasons Iā€™ve stated in previous threads.

1 Like

You just described some SEC schools.

But you fail to see the difference in charter members vs. expansion members.

I donā€™t believe there is any more magic in Baylorā€™s bag of tricks.

Chuck Glad once told me the goal was 65 schools. My only question is what 65.

Counting ND and not counting BYU, there are currently 65 teams in the P5. The goal of the P5 is to have 50%+1 of the voting members of the NCAA D1. There are currently 130 teams in D1 so they have achieved that goal.
If,and that is a big if, UT and OU leave the B12, UT and OU will remain P5. TT, OSU, & KU will most likely remain P5. That will leave WVU, IState, Kstate, BU, and TCU to fight against UH, BYU, Cincinnati, USF, and UCF for the last 5 spots

Bill McGillis told me something similar years ago as well

UH is clearly a Top 65 program, but there are programs that are grandfathered into P-5 conferences that we would rank ahead of them, if it werenā€™t for traditional conference affiliation: Vandy, Duke, Wake Forest, Rutgers, Baylor, Northwestern, Iowa State, and possibly a few others.

2 Likes