Recruiting Rankings

For those that follow that stuff, with the addition of Art Green, the 2020 class moves up to 70.

Ugh.

Only #70???

That’s not even in the top half of I-FBS.

And our numbers are small with quantity playing a huge factor in the ratings.
We also have a kicker from Austrailia, and a big OL find from England who is not rated.
So if we added 3 more to the class and gave the kid from England at least a 3 star it would look quite a bit different.
Also factor in JC players are underappreciated in the rankings and transfers do not count at all.

1 Like

4th in the AAC which is close to where we need to be every year. 2-4 are all bunched together closely too. 2-7 are pretty close too which is what allowed to jump so much with two 3 star commits (Green is a high 3 star though).

Also, it was Green and Stroops that bumped us. Green more so though.

It’s hard to evaluate rankings with transfers playing a big part. I love looking at the average recruit ranking across the classes.

2 Likes

Agree, transfers makes it messy. 247 needs to figure out how to account for that in some way (and not by using their HS ratings).

The only rankings I care about are during October and November.

Go Coogs!!!

5 Likes

Just to help understand how the rankings work.

Tulane is ranked 2nd highest because they have two more recruits than Memphis and Houston. If we were to put stock in the ratings numbers which correlates to the stars, the conference ranking is more like this as far as the quality of player teams are getting. What is not included, as someone has already stated, are transfers.

Cincinnati - 85.31
SMU - 84.30
Memphis - 84.01
UCF - 83.83
UH - 83.65
Tulane - 83.38
USF - 83.13
East Carolina - 82.39
Temple - 82.22
Tulsa - 81.26
Navy - 78.98

We moved from 7 to 4 in the AAC though. In any case, 70 is about normal for us if you discount the miracle class of 2016.

Me thinks that if we have decent year, i.e. at least 8-4 and a bowl win, recruiting will begin to rise again…

1 Like

I would be nice to be consistently 1 or 2 among the non P5 schools. But with no legit shot at a championship, I doubt we ever get much higher than 50-60 range.

I respectfully disagree. If we win the West each year and play in the AAC championship game routinely and go to a big bowl and are ranked all year every year, we can out recruit those team like Kansas, TT, others that never have that chance.

1 Like

I mean yeah but its not like their classes are much higher than ours lol. I’m not sure kansas even out recruits us.

Kansas and TT, and I’ll through in Vanderbilt and any other P5 bottom feeder you can think of have a chance, albeit a slim one. UH, UCF, Boise St., et al. have 0 chance. Zip, zilch, ZERO.

I hear that a lot, that you can’t play for a national championship at a G5 but can at a P5. That’s true but only to an extent. How many schools have made the four-team playoff in its six-years of existence? 24? 18? 16? Try 11. Alabama and Clemson have been five times, Oklahoma four times, Ohio State three times, and then Florida State, Oregon, Georgia, Washington, Notre Dame, LSU, and Michigan State have been once. It’s conceivable that, say, Arkansas or Iowa State or Cal or Purdue or Duke could make it, but it’s HIGHLY unlikely. I think kids generally prefer the less-than-blueblood P5 programs more for the exposure than the chance to play for a national championship.

2 Likes

Everything would have to fall into place for a NC opportunity but I do believe it can happen.

What is very true is the opportunity to play in a NY6 bowl is much better at UH than the majority of P5 schools. We just need some stability with staff and the right guy in control.

So you said what I said but I didn’t use so many words.

2 Likes