Red shirt Dane Roy

Can’t his tourist visa expired

1 Like

I admire the fact that he questioned himself. So far this year he has been NFL ready.

1 Like

Coaches have taken the reigns off him a bit, aren’t asking him to just boot it high anymore. This year, he’s allowed to kick for distance as well as pooch it when he wants to.

As far as the NFL…special teams positions have a lot of politics going on with them so it’s hard to get a foot-hold in there. Our long-snapper is also considerd an NFL prospect and should make a training camp somewhere, but making a team is extremely hard as you have to unseat someone and there are no backups.

5 Likes

You have to remember that he was playing for Apple Boy the last 2 years.

No telling what he was being asked to do !!

7 Likes

Also helps that there is actually a special teams coordinator on staff and he is not being passed around between coaches every week.

2 Likes

I can hear it now.
Apple “Dane, I need you to kick this one out of bounds about their 45.”
Dane “Why?”
Apple “Strategy, my friend, strategy!”

4 Likes

we don’t want him to retire here though.

1 Like

They’ll never see it coming!

1 Like

Dane is getting married and had a job lined up back in Australia. He is planning to move back in the spring.

2 Likes

The typical recipe for unseating a kicker or long snapper?
“Sorry Jimmy but your longevity has us paying you more money this upcoming season”
Am I not worth anything?
“We really like you but we have to cut you”
Can you help me find another Team?
“Please return the playbook in the next five minutes or we will have to send security”

1 Like

Bingo

1 Like

Punters get to look at the playbook? Why? Their playbook consists of get the ball, punt the ball.

1 Like

That was tongue in cheak but yes they do have a playbook. Special Team consist more on just one play. You have seen the fake then the throw. You have a ton of play designs that the STC can call up.

2 Likes

1 Like

That is what the Falcons thought when they cut Matt Bryant at the end of last season. They couldn’t find anyone better so they resigned him. He is a Native Texan BTW (Born in Orange, TX)

1 Like

I remember Money Matt back in the day. In high school we played against him (i went to LC-M he played for Bridge City), then i went to baylor where he was at for a couple years. I transferred down to Houston and he went up to Canadia Land to play pro. I clearly made the better life choice.
(But minus the $20 million in the bank).

2 Likes

We seem to be covering them well lately. Of course those players are carnivores but I bet they want to make him look good as well.

1 Like

I bet if an NFL job is available for the taking he would scrap that plan real quickly!

2 Likes

Agree but not thinking that will happen.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/1182462066147201024?s=20

2 Likes