Redshirt Tracker (Updated through regular season)

Did this last year to keep track of redshirt candidates. Will be interesting this season with the new redshirt rules being in place. For those that are unaware, the NCAA amended the redshirt rule to now allow a player to play in up to 4 games without losing a year of eligibility. I will update this list each week following the game. Theoretically, the redshirt rule could be applied to any player who has not previously redshirted, including upperclassmen.

Not eligible for 2018 redshirt
DE #92 Logan Hall all games played
LB #24 Donovan Mutin 9 games played
TE #85 Christian Trahan 9 games played
LB #37 Zamar Kirven 8 games played
DE# 23 Willie Smith III 6 games played

Still Eligible for Redshirt in 2018
QB #3 Clayton Tune 4 games played (TSU, East Carolina, Tulane, Memphis)
OL #71 Max Banes 4 games played (TSU, Temple, Tulane, Memphis)
WR #19 Julon Williams 2 games played (Arizona, TSU)
RB #25 Kelan Walker 2 games played (TSU, Tulane)
WR #26 Ja’Kori Morgan 1 game played (TSU)
WR #27 Henry Thomas 1 game played (TSU)
RB #35 Johnathan Phenix 1 game played (Tulane)
OL #73 Kameron Lewis 1 game played (TSU)
OL #75 Jack Freeman 1 game played (TSU)
WR #83 Peyton Sawyer 1 game played (TSU)
DE #91 Tahj Brown 1 game played (Tulane)

No participation 2018 (Yet)
DB #33 Garrison Vaughn
TE #45 Spencer Wells
LB #43 Dekalen Goodson

Upperclassmen who could theoretically still redshirt
QB #12 Sr. Quentin Dormady 2 games played (Rice, Arizona)

6 Likes

How often does it happen (for non-medical reasons) that a player redshirts after playing a season or two?

I guess it could happen if you’re a decent player that gets forced to the bench because a couple studs come through then get drafted. Then in theory if you never saw the field you could come back after they were gone and you could start.

Only time I recall was David Piland playing in 2010 when Case got hurt and then redshirting in 2011 when Case was granted the 6th year of eligibility. With the new 4 game limit, I guess it’s conceivable that you could see it happen. Like say a guy plays for 1 or 2 years at QB, and then a coach brings in a stud grad transfer or JUCO guy for one year, and the previous QB could potentially redshirt. Although I would think that is highly unlikely in today’s climate, I would think the guy would just transfer at that point.

Great stuff, was wondering about this yesterday and thinking about how the team tracks it. I assume against Texas Southern a lot of the freshman will get some reps.

2 Likes

This is GOOD news.

We played 53 players and only one true freshman.

4 Likes

Student injured after playing 1, 2, 3 or 4 games, no matter what year he is in . . . . .

Morgan and HT are clearly roommates with number selections like that. lol Nothing like having a best bud in college.

I’m just a football expert by Coogfans.com standards, but might we use some reps in highly competitive games to give the regular rotation guys some rest? Asking for a friend.

I think we only have 2 true freshmen in the two deep depth chart so I wouldn’t expect us to go 3 or 4 deep in competitive games unless it’s because of injuries. We wont know the strategy Applewhite uses until well into the season, but I think the goal is play the best players you have and get other guys reps in blowouts if you want to.

I’m sure Major would have liked to get more freshman in against Rice than he did, but the game was competitive longer than most expected. I would expect to see a good number of freshman play against the likes of TSU, ECU, Tulsa, etc., although we thought we had gimmes against Tulsa and Tulane last year and we all remember how that went.

1 Like

I believe the strategy is to hold the frosh out until near the end of the season, letting them play in the last 4 games. It’s what I hear coaches talking about.

4 Likes

Makes sense…if you can hold them out until 4 games remaining you essentially have 4 games of “free depth”. You still might only use them in a blowout (either way) but then at least they are getting 4 games of experience after essentially a season of practices under their belt.

Seems to me the best scenario would be 1 garbage time game early in the season (TSU) and then 3 games toward the end, especially if injuries start to mount.

I have to agree with CoachV on that you would use them strategically to help out with depth issues later in the season. I forget which coach I heard talk about this, but said he thought having the freshmen available for some games may cut down on injuries since you can cut down reps throughout the season.

1 Like

Makes a ton of sense. Reminds me of 2015 when Brandon Wilson was forced over to RB for the Navy and Temple games after injuries to Farrow and Jackson.

Walker, Goodson and possibly Mutin need to play soon

1 Like

Updated with participation from Arizona game

2 Likes

Updated with participation from Texas Tech game

1 Like

Updated with participation from Texas Southern game

What’s the story here??
6 true frosh with no participation in TSU game – that’s surprising.
I thought for sure EVERYONE would have played.

1 Like

Great stuff Jay C. Thank you very much for posting.