Reid Gettys

My dad and I were talking about Reid. We are really enjoying his commentary this year. With the pandemic he is doing a lot more games since he is local. In the past we would get him for a game here and there but nothing consistent so it was more a novelty. Yes he’s a homer, but he is pretty fair as well and still gives good insight in the opponents. ESPN should consider keeping him on more games next year even when people can travel more. Might save them some expenses too.

10 Likes

He is an excellent announcer. He is better than most of the National ESPN guys.

11 Likes

He usually does handful of gms for ESPN in the BG12 ea year. But they’re trying to eliminate Travel as much possible for everyone, incld refs, media, announcers, etc. So he gets to do more Coog gms then prev yrs.

I wish Gettys would do local sports radio.

2 Likes

Agree on Reid. Appreciated his comments on the UH vs UCLA game which he attended at the age of 5.

He may be too much of a homer for some folks but I love his commentary.

4 Likes

i wish theyd put reid on our espn/espn2 games, instead of just the espn+ ones… he’s better than the national broadcasters

5 Likes

I thought he was a practicing attorney. Maybe he doesn’t have time for a full-time broadcasting gig.

2 Likes

Not enough $$ for Mr. Attorney RG.

THIS!

His understanding of the game because of his history as both a player and an official make his tv commentary very insightful and interesting in my view. He may be a homer but he is often very complimentary of the other players and coaches we face.

4 Likes

I think Reid would be a good fill-in for Elvin on the radio when Elvin does not travel or is unavailable. With Jeremy’s play by play and Reid’s color commentary, they would be a good listen.

I think is too much of a homer to put on the other ESPN broadcasts but his knowledge of the game and the UH program is interesting…esp for Coogs

1 Like

I have heard Reid is a great Coog to run into, will tell plenty of stories

I know they are doing that because of Covid but really ESPN should do that just to save money. Might have saved a few people’s jobs who are laid off. Though I guess for the overall economy it might hurt the airlines and hotels but at this point something they might consider going forward.

Infinitely better than Jon Crispin. That guy is terrible.

2 Likes

of the three alums that I ‘hear’ on various cougar athletics broadcasts:
Andre Ware
Jim Nantz
Reid Gettys

Reid is deffo* is top notch. I know Jim Nantz is like THE guy, sometimes he’s a bit too much of a homer. Andre Ware hates everybody on Cullen now, haha. Well. Seems like he’s more down on us more often than not!

2 Likes

When we were laying down newspapers Reid came up to us and had a chat, he’s chill and I think we let him keep one of the newspapers we had (they are custom made for the FC at this point so I can mail you one if you want one).

Fun chat, he gave us the referee names so we can read them off and chant them if they did a good call.

3 Likes

He is definitely a passionate homer of his alma mater but he let’s us know when we got away with a bad call…in our favor.

7 Likes

Grouping Nantz with Ware and Gettys just seems like apples and oranges to me. The play by play is much different than the color. I think Nantz is generally pretty neutral but they will talk about his time at UH when he does one of our games, he can talk about the history better than some other play by play but that is to be expected.

1 Like