Renu meets with ESPN head

As long as we are in the AAC, of course we deserve to be paid less. If conference affiliation had nothing to do with how much you deserved to get paid, why did we spend so much time trying to get into the Big12? The value of a conference is based on the overall value of it’s teams. You can’t value a conference on only it’s strongest parts or only on it’s lower parts. Do you really believe that the AAC from top to bottom is as strong as the SEC, Big12, PAC or BigTen? When you start making that argument, people won’t take you serious. The focus should be, that the AAC is on the same tier as the ACC and therefore, deserves to be treated similarly to the ACC financially and within NCAA rules.

If Renu goes to ESPN and starts saying we deserve contracts equal to the PAC and Big12, she might as well be riding a donkey, wearing a Spaniard’s helmet while equipped with a jousting lance.

I feel certain one of the 157 teams applying for the Big 12 last year tried this.

No one remembers the ACC’s lean years only the recent past. Based on that past, I can’t see how the AAC could possibly make that argument. Even if the AAC’s top ranked team is higher than the ACC’s, I don’t think we can make a serious case.

We will get paid more than BYU. This will prompt BYU and one other to join.

1 Like

Just saying that needs to be the focus. If we can’t provide proof we are near the same level as the 5th best conference, then we definitely can’t be worrying about how much the worst teams in better conferences are getting. Let’s say for example that the ACC racks up a 5 year, $400 million contract, if we can show our national audience draws 75% of what they ACC gets, it would be reasonable to negotiate for a 5 year, $300 million contract right?

1 Like

BYU gets paid approximately $1 million per home game. That amounts to about $7 million a year. Are you saying that you believe the AAC (not just Houston) will be getting an $80 million a year contract based on some west coast sources or that you believe that the average viewership for ALL AAC games is higher than BYU’s. Just repeating the same thing over and over again like some crazy old man with a tin foil cap shouting “aliens are watching us” does not make the information you are saying anymore creditable.

Yes I am saying just that. The AAC is more valuable across the board than BYU football. We will be paid more than BYU. (Remember we are providing all sports).

Sincerely Old Man With Tin Foil Hat.

P.S. the CIA is trying to read our thoughts.

1 Like

They only get around $5M-$6M per year. one home game airs on BYUtv. Only three games go on ESPN or ABC - the ones they met a million/game for - the other three are on the sub channels and net around $800k.

If BYU is less valuable than the average AAC member, why would we add them?

Football is only 70% of the value of the contract. If our football is worth $5M per school, then the whole contract will be worth $7M.

Duh.

ESPN is in the driver’s seat. Period. They will do whatever has the best potential of making them $'s. Especially now, as they continue to lose subscribers. I applaud RK’s tenacious approach to improving our standing, but you don’t have to look beyond the B12’s embarrassing debacle to know who’s calling the shots. I hope the B12 is once again excluded from the playoffs.

Renu gets it! I hope she never leaves UH.