Replace Offensive Coordinator?

I do get frustrated on short yardage when i see the snap, the RB stand next to the QB and wait for the handoff before taking off. Reminds me of Helton’s famous “delayed draw.”

1 Like

I agree with you on everything except this. The OL was terrible against Tech and probably did more than anything to cost us that game.

LOL…you’re cute.

1 Like

I happened to see one of the Tech defensive coaches motioning with his arm to stack the line on a 3rd and short when UH went with “tempo”. They stuffed the UH RB for no gain. It was frustrating to watch.

What’s even more sickening is the level of crying on these boards doesn’t match the amount of empty seats each game. Maybe we should have people save the whining for the game (actually show up!), channel it into yelling while the other team’s offense is on the field.

4 Likes

Maybe, but how hard do you have to work to out-chess a Tech DC? This game was a lack of preparation by the entire offense.

I do remember them trying this a couple of times against Tech but the WR going downfield was blanketed by the DB. IIRC both times Allen went with the jump ball to the bigger WR and completed one of them. You would think it would work with all of the bubble screens. I keep thinking all of these short, conservative plays will set up something big but King seems to be the only “burner” who gets any playing time that can make the other team pay deep. If he gets moved to QB, then I guess the home run ball will be less likely and we can hope for Ward-like runs.

Jimmy brought this up during his preseason write up, but our speed receivers keep getting injured.

Samples had to retire. Stevenson is out for the year. King just got back. Lark is the biggest surprise. He ran the jet sweep in high school and looked to be the fastest of the 2016 wr class.

I was hoping Singleton could come in and help out in the slot. I guess he hasn’t impressed in practice.

The system is rigid. If one component is missing then it doesn’t work right. We had our opportunity to change it up, but after much success Fertitta thought it best to stay the course.

Strap in. This is year 3 of the dink and dunk, run up the middle offense. And with how good our defense is we won’t bottom out. So for me, I’m just going to trust them to figure it out. No need to fire anybody this year when we go 8-4.

1 Like

The thing is , this is the Urban Meyer offense and these are the types of plays you are going to see. I like to look at the UT fan boards when they lose (I admit, it does give me some pleasure) and threads like this are extremely common over there. They are basically saying fire the oc Tim beck along with the offense is predictable and boring. Their about is a turnover machine while their o line can’t run block and is below average in pass protection. The reason for me bringing this up is that the design of this offense limits explosive plays and is intended to be a methodical grind it out system. Even when tebow was at Florida I thought it was boring.

We run the option without the QB option of keeping the ball with Allen.
He had plenty of opportunities if HE is READING to keep the ball at least once since no defender ever went with him after he handed off.

I am of the mind set that this offense requires a qb like ward in order to be efficient.

1 Like

Yes he attempted some pump fakes to WRs down field but we never actually squared up and faked a screen or a quick out pattern. The pump fakes were not sales worthy.

You need to see the CBs and safeties coming up to blow up that screen, then hit the deep route.

Arizona and Tech have owned us on the screens because they are over playing the throw and have no fear of getting burned.

1. Allen could absolutely be a 500+ yard rusher, but in games, he’s hesitant and indecisive. He has the skills to do it, which leads to…

2. Did Applewhite really go chase him down, or was it one of the guys who went to Austin? His 40 time is probably pretty similar to Postma’s, and he clearly has a stronger arm. Even if he did go after him, see No. 1 above.

On Saturday, I saw an offense that failed because the QB repeatedly made bad decisions followed by bad throws. I didn’t see an offense that is inherently flawed or unfit for the personnel, except maybe at RB, but that was the case last year, too. I did see playcalling adjusted to account for the fact that the QB was ineffective, forcing them to rely on even shorter passes and pitches.

When Postma came in, not only did he run the ball when the field was open, as is intended, he also found guys over the middle who Allen didn’t even look at. That’s not indicative of a bad system or bad playcalling.

2 Likes

Yes, our fan base is that shitty.

1 Like

Not for my money, but I’m a loyal UH fan. It’s the students who stop coming after we’ve been losing or mediocre 4 or 5 straight years and the campus enthusiasm is gone who will do other things along with the fair weather fans who only come when the program is winning 10+ games/year.

Didn’t really want to bring this thread back up, but had some thoughts that I didn’t feel like needed a new thread. So Brian Johnson got a lot of credit for Dak Prescott and was one of the reasons we were excited for him. Now aside from his talent, the thing Dak has excelled with and the reason he was a great college QB and a pro bowler as a rookie is he doesn’t turn the ball over. Only 5 interceptions his senior season and 4 as a rookie in the NFL. I wonder if this is something that Johnson really worked with him on or if it is just something special about Dak. Because the two INTs in the last game should not have been thrown. My worry is that is Allen is not comfortable running, he likes to try to thread a needle on a pass. Can Johnson do something about this? Maybe this is the reason we need Postma/King since they can pick up some yards with their feet instead of forcing something when no receivers are open.

Just like Dak has a calmness about him that may not be coached, Allen lacks a presence that cannot simply be coached up. It goes both ways. Johnson was hired to continue the system, same as D’onofrio.

Also he helped develop Fitzgerald who looks like an above average qb at MissSt.

1 Like

No, our fan base is not “shitty”. I can remember sitting in The Rob with 1500 other die hard Coogs watching us lose the last game of a winless season. We are not willing to go back to those days. We are not concerned with 'just one loss" we are concerned by the fact that our offense has been terrible this year. Are we supposed to wait 3 or 4 years watching the program go into the toilet? When should we start wondering if the OC is not really the man for the job? Remember, it wasn’t very long ago that we watched the Levine disaster.

You answered your own question. Kyle Allen is not in sync so he "presses"overthinks and that results in bad decisions and missed reads. We were spoiled by how well Greg "masked"the OL deficiencies, inexperience, lack of physical toughness of our OL. I am now convinced that King was the QB that was going to start without his injury. That is why we see broken plays, bad reads, inconsistent OL blocking time and time again. Will Kyle Allen step up? Two bad games against one mediocre P5 Team and one fairly good one is an indication of where is mind is at. I am eager to see what King can do same with Postma with the same Team.

2 Likes

Guess what, Oltimer. I was one of those 1500 sitting there. Do I want to go back to those days? HELL NO! That doesn’t mean we don’t have a shitty fan base that after the first loss of the season is calling for coaches to get fired and calling the players trash. Yes, that is correct. Not calling their play trash. Calling the student athlete trash. That’s the kind of “fans” we have here.

2 Likes