Replace Offensive Coordinator?

Don’t blame Levine for a lack of talent. He left a lot of talent for Herman to utilize.

3 Likes

Yes, his '12 and '13 classes were good.

His last class in 2014, which should be our juniors and seniors, was not good.

You can also put the '15 class on him since he lost vs UTSA and Tulane and recruits weren’t going to sign with an about to be fired coach. Those should be our juniors and sophomores.

1 Like

Ok, I can agree with that.

Case in point, Mark, Singleton, and McLemore are all speedy guys, most played well in the spring game, and all are sitting on the sideline.

Patrick what bothers me above all, above everything else is that we do not seem to have fundamentals.
We keep making the same mistakes over and over again. We are having a ton of issues on placement, WR routes, center/QB & OL lack of clear understanding. You almost feel like the guys are confused by the plays. For sure we are working on our deficiencies but obviously the message is not going through. That is on our Coaching staff.

3 Likes

I agree, especially with a coaching staff that has preached fundamentals and “not yelling.”

I will say that the biggest issues this season, in regards to fundamentals on offense besides QB play, are WR and OL play. Both these units are coached by coaches that were not CMA’s 1st choice so I’d hope he looks at those two areas hard this offseason.

I don’t think he’ll do it, but I really hope he brings in Jason Phillips as Co-OC/WR coach this offseason. Phillips can coach WR and is a great recruiter, especially in East TX/LA. Phillips could also hopefully bring in a veteran presence to help OC Johnson if he’s still in that position. I think he’d also help with the passing game and hopefully begin a transition away from the pure RPO.

4 Likes

Lack of talent is a stupid excuse. Good coaches make do with the talent they have on hand.
Do we have less talent than Toledo, New Mexico, or Tulane?
They found a way to beat Tulsa.
We could not.
This game was reminiscent of Vegas. No coaching adjustment. No coaching period.

3 Likes

That said, we are still in a 4 way tie in the American West. Let see what adjustment Applewhite make for the next game. Win then the last game of the season determines the winner. Loose then we should start looking for a new coach.

If we are relying on coaching adjustment to win games then we are in deep trouble.

1 Like

Easy, dude. These are just opinions, not scientific facts in most cases. So don’t call other’s opinions stupid, man. That’s not cool.

1 Like

My apology if any one was offended by my comment. It was not directed at any one in particular.

The facts are what they are. We lost to a 1-5 team. The program is in disarray. The entire season so far has been this way except for a single game, and we haven’t even seen our toughest opponent. Stop making excuses.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. So if it doesn’t work, lets do it again?

Sorry again for my venting.

I don’t think the program is “in disarray” because our offense isn’t awesome. We have some work to do, but the program is in pretty decent shape.

2 Likes

Lol I agree. 4-2 is not the end of the world. We’re not below 9-3 or 10-4 (including bowl win). Those are still goals, and so is a conference championship.

because Lord knows you can’t do it at the stadium - no wifi and no data.

2 Likes

lol I’ll open my hotspot up for our Coogs. Disclaimer: I only have 9 gig, so first come, first serve.

It’s like when your kid bring home an F.

Is your response: It’s OK, you tried your best, you’ll do better next time.

Or is your response: Why the h3$#@%^ did you bring home that F. If the other kids can pass that test, you should be able to do the same. Figure out what you did wrong and NEVER do it again.

The former response will probably make your kid a temporarily happier kid. But it is lousy for his future.

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty silly to have a thread about replacing the offensive coordinator when this is clearly Applewhite’s offense and Applewhite discusses the play calling with him at the end of every offensive series. Allen struggled under Spavital as well. Postma wasn’t mistake free with Applewhite was the OC.

17 points @ Tulsa, the 8th worst defense in the country, 16 points @ Arizona,
20 points @ temple

The fact is after a full spring and summer camps, at a salary of 440 K, the Houston offense , can only put up two touchdowns a game and cannot score in the second half .

3 Likes

The fact is we average 3 offensive TDs per game, which obviously is not enough. We definitely need better play calling whether that is Applewhite or Johnson, doesn’t matter to me as long as it happens.

2 Likes

This year’s team has faced some terrible defenses and is averaging 25.5 points per game good for 86th in FBS.
Levine’s 2014 team averaged 29.8 and was good for 59th. People need to stop comparing to Levine. We understand he had some bad losses, but he wasn’t a bad coach. We did have an average offense and a pretty good defense under him. We just wanted to be better than 8-4 which is what we were getting.
Back to the point, our offense is very poor at the moment. I do feel having an effective QB and/or better WR blocks would help it out a lot.

1 Like