Replay Film Review: Defensive Backs and Pressure

I definitely like going vertical with our fast WRs but I don’t think we have to run every play like we’re down 7 with 30 seconds to go and no timeouts. I think the pace of the 2015-17 offense was right. Go normal and then speed up right after a big play to try to catch the D off guard. But then, I’m a simple man.

1 Like

Great thread, I appreciate all the insight. #gocoogs

3 Likes

Appreciate the analysis. Nice to read something constructive from those that take the time to understand what actually happened. Thanks.
I saw nothing apologetic about it. While no one pleased with loss, pesik and Manster’s analysis far more constructive than a melt-down blame game.

7 Likes

Love the analysis & great discussion that follows Pesiks super post. This type of dialogue elevates Coogfans. Thank goodness we did not wear our Red uniforms. Go Coogs!

1 Like

Dude, you were making excuses because our DB is short. Own it. You don’t have to make other height comparisons to be apologetic.

for 3 crucial plays…without those plays they still put up 580yds passing… i never said that was the only issue…nor was i saying it was okay because of the height difference…

that small part, which was just a small part, was that we have to be cautious to avoid matchups like that in the future…when i watched it there was nothing myres could have done (without causing a PI)…im not saying its okay for it to happen…but that in the future we shouldn’t put over selves in that situation. i didn’t put a solution, but maybe put someone who has better closing speed

im still not sure how saying “this is why this happened” is apologetic… i never said it was okay for it to happen

“The pace was too fast”
“We weren’t ready for a fast pace”
“We should have slowed the pace”
“We’ve never seen pace like that” (BS)
“He was held”
“They held his arms”
Whaaaa, Whaaaa, Whaaa. And on and on and on. We all saw it. We didn’t play well. You can’t excuse it or play what if games.

1 Like

i dont think you understand what being an apologist is…
if is said that is why it is okay for the performance youd have a good point, but my point was that if we were going to keep this pacee we had to score early or slow down (our mistakes)

im guessing you missed the part where i wrote we pushed the pace too…aka our own control…aka our fault…

honeslty lets end this conversation. the "Whaaaa, Whaaaa, Whaaa. " of you post shows you are really just in this to troll…so ill let you just view this post however you feel, thanks for the input

2 Likes

Most of us see that you just want to pontificate (look it up) and are not comfortable with any critique. Let’s end this by allowing you some time in a dictionary with the knowledge that the length of a post utilizing a variety excuses will not play well with everybody.
Check you later. Go Coogs!!

Sadly, if Corbin makes a good catch or King throws the ball a little better, we have a chance to grind down the clock and go into halftime with a 3 point lead minimum and the ball first. I think Applewhite has made some questionable decisions since he has been our coach but if we are honest about it, either player executes the play a little better (not a terribly hard play to execute either) we might have been praising Applewhite for it.

1 Like

Pesik & Manster, Thanks for the analysis. Good stuff!

7 Likes

Good post pesik. Memphis put up close to 42 points on us on a single half last season.The fact that Tech throttled us is not an anomaly. There are fundamental deficiencies with the scheme that compounds our inexperience in the cB position. Poor tackling basics and man to man techniques after a full spring of practice are symptoms of a poorly coached unit. This is my main issue with the DC and the fact that we are ranked pretty much dead last in total defense .

2 Likes

Agreed. Coaching makes all the difference.

Great analysis as always Pesik! Never understand why certain people post when they have absolutely nothing productive to add to the discussion.

4 Likes

And that’s another thing. We’re down 14 late and they have the ball almost in FG range. If we want to win we need a 0 yard stop and we’re effing playing prevent D on second down almost.

Wanna win this game? Bloody blitz already. If ever there was a time to take a chance it’s right then. This is coaching fail and you can’t spin it any other way.

1 Like

I get your points.
We actually had 3rd and 2 I believe. We rushed to line to run up middle. They swallowed it up.
That gave me visions of last year and our 3rd and 4th down ineptness. We had 2 plays get 2 yards.
I think TT …and others are ready for that RPO in short yardage. As long as DE stays home for QB keep on edge they can just blitz both A gaps and blow up.
Don’t have problem with 4th down call…but maybe decision to go for it. As HC you have to think about how your units are playing at time and the D had been looking shaky by then…I think at least 50 plays before the turnover on downs. And again we are getting ball to start half. He did it early against Rice as well when D was shaky early and we didn’t convert.
I think he’s feeling a pressure to use this new powerful toy. I don’t see us taking a lot FGs either unless late game and need 3 to tie or win. Our FG game is questionable I get it. But say we are in a 14-14 game in 2nd quarter…and UH has 4th and 4 at opponent 25…does CMA take 3? I don’t think so. Your thoughts?

1 Like

I think he goes for it in this situation when the game is not on the line. Like you said, the kicking game has been shaky and that presents a 42 or 43 yard attempt. Certainly no gimme. With an athlete like DK at QB, a big RB like Terrence Williams who is hard to bring down, I like an outside RPO in this situation.

FWIW, I was fine with the call to go for it on 4th and 3 right before the half. At that point our defense couldn’t stop TT at all and we were always one missed tackle away from giving up another long TD. When we turned it over on downs, there was 1:57 left (according to the play by play on ESPN, but not sure how accurate this is) and Tech started their drive with 1:53 on the clock. Even if we punt it and pin them at the 1 yard line, they start that drive with 1:45 or so, which is an eternity with their offense. If we can go into the half with a 3 - 7 point lead, and assuming we get the same TD to start the 2nd half, now we have a 10 or 14 point lead which is exactly the kind of cushion our defense needed. I think at the time CMA decided to go for it on 4th and 3, he knew our only chance to win this game was to just outscore Tech. We couldn’t rely on our defense at that point, and I fully agreed. Sadly it didn’t work out.

1 Like

You make some really good points!!
My thought process was this…if we punt them back to 10 or so and are able to play solid on 1st down and 2nd down…which we did at times…and put them in 3rd and medium to long, then KK might run some clock before 3rd down play because would benefit UH if went quick. CMA would have to hold off calling TO because if TT converted he would help them. Just thinking how do I get defense into locker room to hydrate and cool off.
The drive eventually came down to 2nd and 10 at UH 12…IJ pass interference in EZ. I see your side as well.
Regarding the FG to kick or not…I don’t think its any different if ball is on 20 or 18…I think we are gonna go for 7 or bust…and may regret not taking couple 3’s while had chance.

1 Like

Great thread.

I will mention that USF is in the top 10 in pace as well. That should be a shoot out when they come to TDECU.

3 Likes

That’s funny. I have screen shots of at least 21 plays where we brought just 3.