Report: Former Baylor RB Terence Williams to transfer to Houston

https://twitter.com/coog57/status/1004057349357817860

3 headed (or even 4) RB tandem is nothing to sneeze at. In 2011, we had Hayes, Beall, and Sims and that worked out pretty well. In this offense, the more options and looks we can throw at a defense, the more they’ll struggle to contain it. Plenty of years during Briles tenure at Baylor where they had 3-4 guys rush for over 500 yards.

3 Likes

Also, the issues Catalon is dealing with are not football related; very difficult situation that would be hard on any young man. From what I’ve heard though, he is not a distraction at all to the team and puts in the work when he’s there.

I’ll agree that he’s not the most physical back in the world, but give him lanes to run and he’ll be a stud this year. He, Williams, Car, Walker, Justice, Mitchell, Carr, and Smith are going to be an impressive group to watch in this offense.

5 Likes

So what does Williams bring to the team? First, he gives the Cougars a big back (6’2”, 222 pounds) who is extremely difficult to take down. His center of balance is tremendous and tacklers tend to bounce off of him. Williams also has good vision to find running lanes and open space. An explosive running game is something Houston has lacked for a couple years now, and he could change that all by himself…

Year 1 under Major Applewhite was a disappointment, but he has taken tremendous steps to ensure that his second season won’t be. Houston now has a ton of talent thanks to grad transfers, and Williams is just the latest name to be added to the roster. It all comes down to coaching on the field. Applewhite has proven he can get the talent to Houston, and now he has the pieces to make the 2018 season a special one.

1 Like

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061918aaf.html

Williams played in 29 games with 11 starts at Baylor and left the program ranked 13th in program history with 1,859 career rushing yards. The Ennis, Texas, native earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors in 2016 after rushing for 1,048 yards with 11 touchdowns on the ground.

He ranked fourth in the Big 12 in 2016 with an average of 5.66 yards per carry and had four 100-yard rushing games on the season, including a career-high 180 yards vs. Texas. Williams played in eight games with five starts in 2017, missing four games due to an injury, and finished the year with 255 rushing yards and one touchdown on 73 carries.

Williams played in nine games as a redshirt freshman in 2015 as a reserve running back and special teamer. He totaled 556 rushing yards and three TDs on 88 carries along with two receptions for seven yards and one blocked punt.

Prior to Baylor, the 2014 Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl selection was the No. 14 athlete nationally by 247Sports and the No. 16 running back nationally by Scout after rushing for 3,085 yards and 40 touchdowns in his final two seasons at Ennis High School, earning All-State honors both seasons.

I want to pass more. But if we destroy the defenses on every down, I’ll take more running.

Briles added that Williams passes the eye test at 6-2 and 225 pounds.

“He’s tough,” Briles said. “He’s mean, which is what you want. He plays with an edge. I think we need that from an offensive standpoint. We need to have an edge about us, and he’s going to bring that for us.”

2 Likes

If he stays healthy, then he could have a MONSTER season in this new offense!

4 Likes

Oh I just love that quote by CKB on Williams. Tough, mean, edge. Farrow wasn’t the most talented guy but he ran angry and got to the league with that edge. We get a talented RB like that with King and our new OC this could be a special offense.

6 Likes

I’m one who thinks that Mulbah is going to step onto the light as a force to be dealt with. Hopefully this is the year he’ll get primed for the Big Stage next year.

3 Likes

If the Oline can create running lanes the combination of Williams and Car is going to wear out opposing LBs and DBs. How much are they willing to get run over?

Edit: Forgot about Kelan Walker. That’s a big boy. If he gets reps that’s a lot of pain for secondaries.

1 Like

And then throw in a guy like Patrick Carr or Davion Mitchell for the change of pace, speed burst. There are so many weapons to choose from.

1 Like

The Briles O uses wider splits… that should help get some more space… The Briles Offense, once it gets going and clicking is virtually unstoppable.

4 Likes

If, like CMA said, the goal is to run as many plays as humanly possible, we’re going to need platoons at WR and RB. Gotta keep fresh legs out there. That should mean plenty of carries for all those guys.

4 Likes

Who’s our fastest RB? Curious.

either patrick carr or davion mitchell

1 Like

That is a good question… wonder who is the fastest pure speedwise? Of course you don’t have to have blinding speed to be a great RB, but it sure helps.

P. Carr ran track in high school and at Colorado, that speed in Briles’ offense could be explosive.

1 Like

I thought Catalon was back do not see him on Roster

as of now he isn’t. look like he wont be.