Report says FBI college basketball probe could result in NCAA violations for three dozen programs

Yeah, it is funny. “Inside Texas” thinks that because UT buys players, as witnessed by their string of one-'n-dones, everybody else cheats too.

In keeping with that mindset, UT should change its school song from “Texas Fight” to “My God How The Money Rolls In”.

1 Like

I bet tu got played by J. Allan and his mother.

1 Like

Agree, this is from 2015

I understand players get scholarships. At the same time the ncaa is supposed to have the same rules for everybody. It chooses to not enforce them equally or do not even enforce them altogether.
The very fact that the ncaa can’t clean their own door step speaks volume.
At the same time sexual offenders are allowed to stay on campus for years or decades.
What the hell is going on here? The ncaa is out of control and should be dismantled at once.
Replace it with a modern organization that has the institutions and athletes governed by common sense. Governed with rules that can’t be broken even if you are called penn state, msu or others.
Are these FBI inquiries being paid by the ncaa or are we/tax payers paying for it? Does anyone know the answer? Just imagine if we are indeed paying for this.

4 Likes

As far as I know, the FBI is working completely independent of the NCAA. NCAA was blindsided by the whole thing and was purposely not included.

2 Likes

So we the tax payers are paying for it. It is farce Patrick absolute farce.

1 Like

Agreed. Sad that it has come to this.

And really, this isn’t new…been going on for years. However, things are now coming to light as the world gets smaller and the media gets bigger as social media continues to grow larger in people’s lives. Now, all the greed is being exposed…should be interesting to see how it plays out.

1 Like

Athletes shouldn’t get paid while they are in school. I do think that after they graduate (actually receiving a degree) they should be able to make money off sales of merchandise. So Keenum would get a percentage of from sales of jerseys with his name on it ETC. E-rob could and some day Dane Roy could, even off its because everyone just loves him for his you tube and Twitter.

1 Like

What is the legal reason for the FBI to be involved in this? Strictly from a legal point of view what law is being broken?
The ncaa says that it is against their rules. I agree with it. Players should not get paid since they get a scholarship. But why should us/tax players have to pay for the feds to get involved? Can’t the ncaa do their own cleaning? If they can’t they should not be allowed to continue as the so called ruling body.
I found this to my question. Read between the lines. For our lawyers friends I will ask about the correlation between the P5’s and the G5’s. Could and should it be investigated by the feds? there are financial downfalls being a G5 vs a P5. Why should it be allowed to continue?

Does it really cost the tax payers money when the FBI works? They are probably all on salary. You can say maybe they could be doing something else but I don’t think it’s costing the tax payers (extra) money for these guys to do some work.

1 Like

There is a crime called income tax evasion if these people did not declare their income. Is that
what UT et. al., should be teaching their students?

2 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

Thank you and I agree with you. It did cross my mind but there are also audits that are performed regularly on agents, coaches and other professional occupations related to entertainment/sports. They are specifically targeted by the IRS. Small businesses are too. That is why if this has been going on for years something else was happening. Any enrolled agents would say the same.
It is an interesting view. Some might argue that ultimately their income will go back into the economy and thus generating taxes.

1 Like

Any investigation into college basketball that does not include Calapari isn’t very thorough…IMHO !

2 Likes

Most of the so called handouts are in cash and hard to prove…I remember back in the day when the Aggies used charge cards to let athletes shop. We did the same but such transactions were far too easy to trace back so schools and alumni simply went to cash inducements…

Or Patino…or the coach at agy, or the one at UT, or the one at…

Wichita State athletic director Darron Boatright issued a statement following Friday morning’s report by Yahoo! Sports that indicated former Shocker Fred VanVleet and his stepfather, Joe Danforth, received a combined $3,000 from a sports agency during VanVleet’s senior season in 2015-16.

“We are dedicated to conducting all aspects of Wichita State’s intercollegiate athletic programs with integrity and in full compliance with NCAA and American Athletic Conference rules,” Boatright said in an e-mail. “We have no knowledge of the transactions described in the Yahoo report published this morning. We will fully cooperate with any formal inquiries from NCAA or legal authorities regarding this matter.”

Meh…Emmert is a hack and is a pawn for the P5s.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/983831543775924225

Emmert is not the problem. It’s the whole system and what it has come to is the big issue. He has publicly came out more than once recently and changes need to be made.