Returning LB - Austin Robinson

Per UHCougars.com

Austin Robinson Granted Additional Year
Houston linebacker saw action in all 12 games in 2017

HOUSTON – Houston linebacker Austin Robinson has received a legislative relief waiver from the NCAA which has granted the Pearland, Texas, native a sixth year of eligibility.

This is definitely an area of need. Good luck for the Coogs

7 Likes

This is a very good development. We lost a lot from the LB depth chart. Getting Austin back and adding Darrion Owens definitely helps to solve the problem, along with the young guys and recruits coming in.

4 Likes

Was that possibility taken into account in our 85 scholarships, signing day, and post signing day activity.

A year older and solid depth if not fighting for a starting job.

Robinson was a walk-on. Not sure if he was granted a scholarship last season, but, even if he was, I imagine we’ll be under the 85 scholly limit when it counts. We were about 9 under at the start of training camp last year.

He’ll definitely ensure we have some depth at LB and I imagine will challenge for a starting spot at ILB. He had his moments last season and started a few games when Matt Adams went out. Was originally a transfer from UTSA and was a QB there.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/A_Rob_22/status/966390219342864389

1 Like

I suppose this is the same rule allowing Iowa State QB to get a 6th year.

May be the same rule that got Case a 6th year.

CASE GOT THE EXTRA YEAR BECAUSE HE HAD MESSED UP HIS SHOUDER
IN THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AND COULD NOT PLAY HIS FRESHMAN
YEAR. ART BRILES WHO WAS ALREADY AT BAYLOR WENT TO BAT FOR CASE
AND WAS INSTRAMENTAL IN GETTING THE EXTRA YEAR FOR CASE. HE ALSO
GOT INJURED IN THE SECOND GAME OF THE YEAR AGAINST UCLA.

This is indeed good news for both UH and Austin Robinson. I am happy this happened but I have never heard of something like this. Can someone explain it to me? Thanks

Basically, he was injured or had an issue during his redshirt year and another year when he didn’t redshirt. The NCAA is giving him another year.

Keenum’s situation is a good example, but usually 1-2 guys around the NCAA get a waiver each year.

Thanks. The way it was phrased “legislative relief” did not sound like a medical redshirt.

2 Likes