Rice vs. PVA&M

Rice stops PVAMU and they get a safety on the ensuing punt attempt. 28-28 tied.

I think Rice is about to pound the rock to kill clock. 10 minutes left in this one.

Rice goes for it on 4th and 1 just past midfield and gets it. Like I thought, they are pounding it down their throats.

Rice stalls, doesn’t get it in FG range, but pins PVAMU to their own 2.

Rice holds them to 3 and out. Will get the ball with 4:30 left on the clock.

1 min
 Rice inside PVAMU 10. All timeouts.

FG with 1 sec left, Rice wins, 31-28.

First opening win for a new Rice HC since SMU came back from the death penalty.

we scoring 80 next week!

I don’t know about 80 with the way they try to eat clock. I think we will be able to score fairly regularly looking at their D. My guess is we go with a very conservative game plan. I say I hope for a comfortable 4 TD win.

the DL gonna feast on their OL and running backs. we should have no problems scoring on them.

I expect a lot of Rice 3 and outs till the 4th. No need to use our guys up if we have a significant lead.

I don’t know how one would make our our offense conservative. It’s fast by design and vertical in the passing game so we’ll score lots of points. Rice pounds the ball but it’s not an option offense. Bring it. Ed and company will be licking their chops all week and I’ll be surprised if our defensive rotation gives up any points. Maybe when we get to the 3’s and 4’s they score some, but not before then.

While listening to the game on the radio, one of the Rice guys said that the last time that a SWAC team defeated a FBS team was in 1985. That would have been a historic loss for the owls. They dodged a bullet.

I’m glad for our SoS that they didn’t lose. I’d be fine with playing really conservative next week so as not to give up too much on film. Watch us come out and just throw screen passes like last year :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Didn’t say the offense would be conservative, said the gameplan would be conservative. I don’t expect us to open up the playbook very much. You know the team was watching that game and probably feeling confident.

1 Like

Rice’s defense is terrible so I’m far more interested in our defense pitching a shut out than seeing how many TDs the offense can score, though that would be fun too. If Rice thinks they can ground and pound to chew clock against Big Ed and Co., lol!

3 Likes

Our line next week jumped from -23 to -24.5 soon after the Rice game ended. Will be a lot higher by later this week

No we are not scoring 80, more like last year’s score, with emphasis on how we sub, communicate , special teams yada yada yada.
Then again football gods can be funny sometimes.

It’s too bad we weren’t Rice’s first game. From what I saw, Rice has a good running back but their senior QB couldn’t complete a pass of more than 10 yards. It was weird that the 6-5 Junior came in, seemed to do better and then not throw a pass the entire second half.

Will be interesting to see if they stick with the senior against us.

Does this mean we have to worry about TSU? SWAC Rising!

2 Likes

Why does Rice play football?

1 Like

Can we hoist a trophy that says best football team in Houston after beating both schools
!!!