Rice vs. PVA&M

Rice plays tonight at 6pm on ESPN+. What the heck is that? Is it like ESPN3?

I believe it’s their new streaming service you have to pay for.

1 Like

$4.99 a month. A cable subscription doesn’t get you it. You have to pay.

There is another thread discusses how this might be a significant part of the tv deal the AAC gets.

I tried ESPN + for a month this summer and it’s not terrible. Menu was pretty easy to navigate. All the old 30 for 30s are there as well. Streamed well off the app.

If AAC signs with ESPN it’s good because you can be placed on ESPN or 2 or ABC. The bad side is you also get put on ESPN plus which will be difficult for people to find and understand how to access.

ESPN + is probably the future due to cord cutting. You can pay the provider directly but even at $4 a month they won’t be making money the way they are now via traditional cable and satellite.

1 Like

It does give the option for a free 7 day trial. Might check out the Rice game just to see if they have improved with the new coach.

Game is on. I will give updates if you cant watch. Rice D up first.

Rice is running a 4-3 defense. They are selling out against the run and putting their secondary on an island. Prairie View moved the ball, most of it coming on one big pass play. The Owls are playing single high man coverage.

This bodes well for us.

Stankavage (Vandy transfer) gets the start at QB. Power I formation, no kidding. RB Run, RB Run, pass to the TE. 1st down.

Run stuffed, pass to the RB coming out on the flat, 3rd and short - QB sneak for a 1st down.

Draw play for 8, milking the clock. Pitch to the RB in the I formation for a 1st down…

Pass to the WR for 8, power I up the middle for a 1st down.

RPO results in the QB TFL, I formation RB for 0. 3rd and long - QB scramble for a 1st down.

Run for a TD, Owls up 7-0. 6 min off the clock.

Nov 2016 - last time the Owls scored a TD in the 1st quarter.

Here is the link to Rice IMG radio broadcast.

Rice vs. Prairie View

Rice stuffing the run of PVAM. Rice safety missed a pick. PVAM - 3 and out.

Rice starting on the PVAM 45.

1st down - big run for 34 yards. Apparently, the Rice RB runs a 4.5s/40.

Delay 5yd penalty. Stankavage incomplete pass to the flat. 3 TE formation and RB goes in for a TD.

13-0 Rice. Rice misses 2-pt conversion. Rice using this as a scrimmage apparently.

PVAM not able to run. Passing is the only way they are moving the ball.

End of the 1st.

Rice’s RB, Esukpa, already has 77 yds. Stankavage is 3/4 for 24 yds after the 1st.

Start of the 2nd, Rice with the ball.

Pass for 7, but facemask on PVAM, so tack on 15. 1st down

Run up the middle for 1, PI call on PVAM 1st down.

Power I RB for 4 yds. False start. 2nd and long - their small RB goes for 26 yds. 1st down near the 10.

Spread formation lofted pass to the corner of the EZ, incomplete. Injury time out. Power I formation, pitch for a loss of 2. 3rd down and 12 - QB throws it away.

Rice field goal, 16-0.

Not doing play-by-play for PVAM.

PVAM gets a lot of yardage on a misdirection run play.

Two plays later, pass for a TD, but ineligible man down field negates TD.

PVAM QB run gets big yardage, then throws a TD pass on the next play.

Overall, the Rice defense stops the run, but has been susceptible to big plays.

Rice 16 - 7 PVAM

Tyner in at QB for Rice, offset I to the RB for 3. Power I to the RB for 1st down at midfield.

Spread formation pass for 10 and 1st down.

Run for 1. Power I with an errant pass. 3rd and long, spread formation, pass for 30 yds and 1st down.

1st and 10 at the PVAM 20, pass to the flat for 2. Timeout PVAM. Spread formation, pass to the boundary for 5. 3rd and short, I formation, false start. 3rd and long - spread formation trips to the L, sails the pass to the EZ.

Rice FG, 19-7.different kicker. Rice is using this as a preseason game. He has switched QBs and kickers.

1 Like

Rice got a sack on a delayed blitz, but Rice still having big troubles in the secondary. Allowing pass plays for big yardage.

PVAM scores a TD. 19-14 Rice in the lead.

rice out here struggling vs PV. lol

Their offense is much improved, their defense… not so much.

Stankavage is back in at QB to end the 1st half. The offense is functioning better under him.

Run for 1 yd. Pass incomplete on the drag route. 3rd and 9 - only 4 yds on a pass to the flat. PVAM timeout to stop the clock.

Bad clock management there for the Rice coaching staff.