Ruhle must be one heck recruiter

recruiting using “green stamps” works in the SEC and at Baylor.

Baylor is the principal reason I do not want to go into the Big 12. What a disgrace to sport.

I get everyone knocking baylor, however there must be something going on in wacko.

Money
Green stamps (I’ve got 5,000 I will donate if this is true)
Cars
Not having to attend class
The only game in town
That guy Jones with the kool aid (cult guy)

the green stamps I was referring to don’t come in books but rather envelopes and they have pictures of dead presidents on them.

1 Like

Baylor had huge success under CAB…that has now begun to fade away…Baylor had a terrible year, yet still recruited well …i suppose off who they used to be, on the field wise…another dreadful year with nothing but losing, and all that will be a much harder sell for Rhule…it all comes down to winning or losing…Baylor seems to be returning to dog days before CAB…i think it more likely he fails rather than becoming a top 25 team…try selling 1-11 to a good player when it becomes the norm rather than one blip…

These are 18 year old kids. The only thing they care about is playing time, an opportunity to get to the playoffs and getting to the NFL. It’s a damn shame that the NCAA is so spineless. I hope Lavar Ball is able to create that basketball league that pays kids right out of high school. College athletics the way we see it today is a sham.

4 Likes

Baylor was competitive with a depleted roster. Great job by Rhule and his TX staff to bring in a top 20 class. Better than TCU.

I know parents sending kids to Baylor. It’s still a middle to upper middle class option to other religious privates (ACU, etc) and Aggy.

Reality is there is no scandal that can bury a college football program. High School players don’t follow the scandals enough and I would guess that maybe 5% of recruits if that would be moved off of a school because of a past scandal. Baylor covered up a murder and a rape culture. USC and Penn State all bounce back quickly as well. If you are P5 you are essentially bullet proof if you hire the right coach.

2 Likes

Agree, this is what happens when you belong to a P5.
Imagine if penn state and baylor would have been G5 Schools? What is the likelihood that they would have received the death penalty and stop their football program?
Let’s not put USC at the same level. The ncaa made a lot of SEC Schools happy when they put down the hammer on them.

1 Like

Very solid points. I second your notion but will go one step further. You could pay me all the money in the world for my daughter to go to Baylor University and I would still say hell no.

2 Likes

In a bizarre, if not disconcerting way, it’s also fascinating.

When the Roman Catholic Church got busted for all the child molestation cases by priests, the numbers of Catholic congregations (and Catholic schools) began to plummet. People are still leaving the Catholic church and many Catholic orders are bankrupt largely due to this total lack of institutional control.

When the school of white southern Baptists gets caught out of control with allowing this type of behavior to persist and the denial of it (similarly) - cases of sexual abuse/assault/rape, evangelicals double down and go more! They think its made up, political and deny its legitimacy.

The only other significant difference is in one case the victims were mostly boys, while in the other the victims were girls.

What a fascinating mass behavioral difference to a similar set of circumstances.

Again spot on. My family line is Catholic so I can attest to the sentiments that you have laid out.

Yeah, well, that same description would have applied to Todd Graham when he became head coach at Rice in 2006.

I agree that what is going on at Baylor in terms of recruiting just doesn’t pass the smell test.

1 Like

Jealousy is an ugly character trait. I would recommend that we all focus our time & attention on building up the UH FB program and forget about the Baylor FB program. They will be just fine and back in the Top 25 PDQ.

2 Likes

How can you easily conclude anyone’s criticisms are driven solely by jealousy? I can’t speak for others, although I suspect many others are similar, but the very last thing I am is jealous of their moral turpitude and hypocrisy.

This is so much bigger than football. I made very similar criticisms of Penn State, and found it detestable the NCAA cut short their penalties.

2 Likes

You could say that I was jealous when Briles had them winning a bunch of games and getting good recruits. This is more pissed and just confused. Baylor should not even have athletics after what happened, but we at least thought what happened on the field would start to kill them. Just amazing that coming off a 1 win season and a cover up of institutional rape, Baylor puts together (currently) the best recruiting class ever in program history. Are you kidding me?

3 Likes

It ISNT their best recruiting class in history…those services can reflect numbers any way they want. Briles’ great recruting classes that turned Baylor into champions who beat whorn 5 times in a row and were a playoff contender were great…they went to 2 new years bowl games in a row…lost them both, another Briles failing, losing bowl games. But THOSE were great recruiting classes…not because of how they rated, but what they did…The great Baylor senior class of 1956 had the best lineman in the country, all american Bill Glass, and beat SEC champion and no. 1 team in the country Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl, 13-7…i think THEY could argue that they were Baylor’s greatest class…the proof is in the playing…
if Baylor goes undefeated, wins Big 12 and makes the playoff in next couple of years, i will stand corrected…But we know that isnt going to happen…

1 Like

The fact that penn state and baylor even have a football program today is an abject reflection of the ncaa.
At the same time that we are talking about recruiting when lives have been changed forever.
It begs the question as to why did Ruhle accept this job? It is crystal clear that the ncaa had no intention to penalize baylor. Ruhle is a good Coach but why associates yourself with this trash? Cash is one reason but he must have reassurances that the ncaa chihuahuas were not coming.

2 Likes

After the SMU debacle and more recently with the P5 concept, the NCAA has effectively been neutered. (See Penn State, North Carolina, et al.)

Again, Baylor FB will be right back in the Top 25 within a couple of years or so. Move on…

I get it and will move on, but is it that wrong of us to hope for once that a a school involved in terrible deeds maybe gets what they richly deserve?