Rumor: Orlando recommended D’Onofrio

Coach Orlando said it: you can’t fool the locker room. Will be interesting to see player reaction to the DC/scheme. Cant’ imagine it will take CMA long to evaluate situation. After all, he saw Orlando’s results for two years. Going to be a very interesting year. Just hope we can continue our momentum.

I would have thought that CMA would have given high priority to a DC with a history of good recruiting. Have to think none of his top candidates were available.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/818906917695352832

Confirmed. Orlando recommended D’Onofrio.

1 Like

Still would be interested to see who interviewed.

Why? So you could argue that anyone else was a better choice? Move on. Support the team.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/818906917695352832

I think Dman is one tough dude. Maybe our culture will be a better fit for him.

https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/818955469075206146

1 Like

When you hire someone you talk in advance the vision of the program. So if Major wants to run a 4 man front, than I assure you he has been assured that The new DC is comfortable there. I haven’t seen his Defense on film, but I guarantee you that he has run four man fronts. Not exclusively obviously, but at times or in certain situations. As said earlier, until we hear this is all speculating. Major and Coach D have obvioust already agreed upon the vision of our defense. A vision that may be tweaked some, but if you choose the hire, the coach is going to make sure his plan can be carried out. If it is all Coach D’'s plan, then you know Major has heard him out and likes his vision. Point is this; guys give Major some credit.

2 Likes

Sheer curiosity. Just like Id be interested in knowing who we interviewed for OC. Has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting.

Are you basing this on Orlando’s recommendation and Applewhite saying he doesn’t want to fix things that aren’t broken because I’m pretty sure D’Onofrio ran a 4-3 at Miami.

Pretty sure he didn’t.

1 Like

Applewhite was on a Jerome Solomon podcast last week in which he said NONE of the schemes are changing, on either side of the ball. When he spoke with D’Onofrio he said this is what we run, it’s your job to adjust to it. Our players won’t be adjusting to any new schemes. Now I’m sure he’ll add his own variations to it like all coaches do.

1 Like

Sam, is correct. Ran a 3-4 scheme. Miami ran a 4-3 prior to his arrival. The reality of our defense. It is a three man front with a hybrid linebacker/defensive end. The last couple of years we have lined up as follows:

3-4-3
4-2-5
3-3-5

This is the flexibility Bowser gave us. With his size and quickness he could line up as the fourth man in a four man or stand-up as a third linebacker.

2 Likes

3-4, 4-3, 4-2-5, 5-5-1, 0-11, 9-1-1. :joy: I don’t care what we run, as long as we stay the same attacking unit that we were under Orlando. Let me see those double-A gap blitzes, those delayed safety blitzes. The D needs to continue to be super aggressive, which I think it will. But of course that always depends on the talent at hand as well.

I don’t know what we are going to do. If we are aggresive then our young corners could be exposed. We don’t have a NFL caliber lockdown CB this year. But if we sit back and play zone the QB will have all day to pick us apart. Besides EO who has shown an ability to get pressure on the QB? Bowser and Taylor are long gone.

If our defense is average this year then CMD did a good job in my book.

2 Likes

We will have good LB’s and DE’s. I’m more so worried about our secondary, really hoping Winchester has a better year. Hopefully we can be top 5 in scoring offense nationally and significantly outscore our opponents.

Who are the pass rushing LB’s? I don’t see a Bowser replacement.

That is where CMD comes in and develops a couple of these guys into what we need.

I’ve been out of the loop for a while. Has Chaisson committed anywhere yet? Any indication he’s still interested in playing next to Big Ed? That would help our secondary out a bunch.

According to most recruiting sites it’s down to Texas and LSU for Chaisson. I haven’t heard anything about UH being in the picture.

1 Like

Chaisson’s top two are UT and LSU. Probably going to UT.