Ryan Silverfield named HC /Opponent Watch 2019: Memphis

1 Like

"An original member of Mike Norvell’s staff, Silverfield has spent the past four seasons with the Tigers offensive line.

Before coming to Memphis, Silverfield worked in both major college football and the NFL with stops with the Detroit Lions and Minnesota Vikings working as an assistant offensive line coach and in various capacities at Arizona State, Toledo, UCF, and Hampden-Syndey College."

https://footballscoop.com/news/reports-ryan-silverfield-expected-to-be-new-memphis-head-coach/

1 Like

oooofff, wish them the best of luck, but as we know
 these “promotion from within” things don’t work out very well. Time will tell

Maybe not for us but there are many schools who have promoted from within and then done very well
in fact heard of 4 this morning
Riley, Sweeney, Day and Orgeron .

4 Likes

Cristobal, Chris Petersen (and Dan Hawkins was an internal promotion before Coach Pete), Jimbo Fisher at FSU, Gary Patterson, Mike Gundy, Kyle Whittingham, etc.

There are plenty of times it works and plenty of times it doesn’t.

4 Likes

Yup. But if you roll the dice, you better have did your homework, or be ready to return to the stone age.

The guy has a lot of experience and is familiar with the program so it looks like a good hire on paper.

Also to be fair, Levine did recruit the bulk of the talent UH has seen this past decade.

2 Likes

Hoping he’s good but not good enough to ever beat the Coogs. It’s been a while since we’ve beat Memphis. It’s our turn to shine. lol

1 Like

continuity hire

2 Likes

“For starters, Silverfield is the Tigers’ best bet to maintain the continuity from the Norvell era and keep the proverbial train churning along.
He is by all accounts an excellent offensive mind that has presided over a consistently superb offensive stretch over the last four years”

Like Ohio State.

I hope he is their Tony Applewhite.

5 Likes

What caught my attention was the Hampden-Syndey College stent 
 after all the fancy schmancy NFL bottom teams and some half decent college teams he ends up at Hampden-Syndey College

The Watsamatter U of Virginia just west of Richmond 
 a division 3 college 
 the lowest college division before HS’s

Hampden-Syndey College BTW ended at the bottom of their conf this season 
 his leaving must have affected them 
 badly 

I do like the “keep the proverbial train churning along” 
 let’s hope it turns into dd’s polytrain which never makes it outa the train stations more times than it does.

Not all continuity hires are bad. It’s just we have ummm, not had good luck with those.

It worked once in the 1950s. None have come close to working since.

Patterson of TCU was a continuity hire. Ryan Day of Ohio State was a continuity hire. Those worked out great.

1 Like

Ohio State’s current coach is a continuity hire. That seems to have worked pretty well.

I was replying to a post that was talking about UH not having much luck with them. They’ve worked for other schools but not us.

Jenkins, Tony and Major. 0-3 in the last 30 something years.