Sam Houston State Game 2

Bottom 5th
Champion hit by the pitch
Passed Ball moves Champion to 2nd
Monacy walked
New pitcher for SHSU even though he was pitching a no-hitter; he had walked 5 and 1 HBP
Error on a pickoff puts Champion at 3rd
Wong grounds into a double play 5-4-3, Champion still at 3rd (no idea why he stayed)
Hollis grounds out to 2nd

T6…SHSU leads 5-0

What is about mid-week games. I understand the pitching but we must have different bats for mid-week. SHSU is throwing a no-hitter. Really.

Top 6th
Lockhart in for Julks, Champion to LF, Bielamowicz to CF
Flyout to CF
Double down the RF line
Single to short puts runners on the corners after the runner at 2nd steals 3rd
Groundout to 1st scores a run, runner at 2nd…BearKats lead 6-0
Monacy makes a nice diving stop to end the inning

M6…SHSU leads 6-0

I think its the youth on this team and the fact that we’re playing teams that want to beat us, badly. Our guys just aren’t lifting their game to the right level to beat these teams.

Yeah Patrick, its like we don’t want to hit…and then we don’t want to score even when they give us a chance by bad pitches. Strange game. Its like SHSU is us (excellent pitching, bunting, base running and timely hits) and UH is like, well, a team over its head. So many of these weekday games have been like this. The games last Sat and Sun against Tulane restored my faith…and then this (again). Its like I’m watching a completely different team. Oh well, here is to hoping. Predictions of post season success don’t look so probable given the inconsistencies and depth weakness. Anyhow, here is to hoping. Go Coogs as always!

Mid-week games are always sort of a toss-up, but this is beyond that. That’s why I think it’s just youth. Team plays well on the weekend and looks focused most of the time, but they just aren’t playing with that fire during the week.

Bottom 6th
New pitcher for SHSU
Lockhart lines out to short
Boom! Scheiner homers! …BearKats lead 6-1
Triolo walks
New pitcher for SHSU
Davis Ks swinging
Triolo to 2nd on a wild pitch
Triolo steals 3rd
Bielamowicz grounds out to the pitcher

T7…SHSU leads 6-1

Also, all teams “want to beat us badly” (or should…) but the “right level to beat these teams” should aim a little higher than embarrassment in complete beat-downs (like against this year’s Rice and this team). I mean, we can’t get one hit, or base one runner? Like I said, the preparation goes beyond just the players in my opinion. Go Coogs!

Oops. Scheiner got a HR. Well, at least it is not a shut out, no hitter.

But point well taken pray10

Definitely a good discussion topic. Just frustrating all around.

Who knows though, maybe they’ll come back like they did this weekend.

Yip! I always pull for our Coogs. I just vent sometimes, seeing all this awesome talent and wanting the best for them. We should be winning 10-3 if they would play baseball like they can.

Nothing against SHSU. What a well coached team!

1 Like

Top 7th
Bond on in relief
Single to short
Runner steals second and an error moves him to 3rd
Popout to Triolo
Groundout to 2nd, run scores….BearKats lead 7-1
Single to left
Single to short, runners on 1st/2nd
Triple scores 2…BearKats lead 9-1
Kanada relieves Bond
Groundout to 2nd

M7…SHSU leads 9-1

Villarreal goes 4.1IP 5H 3R 2ER 1BB 4K

Bottom 7th
Etzel pinch hits for Champion
Etzel Ks swinging
Monacy Ks swinging
Wong walked
Hollis singles, Wong to 2nd
Lockhart Ks swinging

T8…SHSU leads 9-1

Top 8th
Etzel to LF
Triple
Triple scores a run…BearKats lead 10-1
Homer…Bearkats lead 12-1
Carter Henry in for Kanada
Single
K swinging
K Swinging
Groundout to short

M8…SHSU leads 12-1

Bottom 8th
Scheiner makes it to first on an error by the SS
Triolo Ks looking
Davis grounds into a 5-4-3 double play

T9…SHSU leads 12-1

Top 9th
K, K, lineout to short

M9…SHSU leads 12-1

Bottom 9th
Bielamowicz Ks looking
Etzel homers…BearKats lead 12-2
Slaughter pinch hits for Monacy
Slaughter grounds out to short
Wong Ks looking

SHSU wins 12-2

Oof

Down to 30th in the RPI

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/042517aaa.html

HOUSTON NOTES

Jake Scheiner belted his conference-leading 13th home run of the year – a one-out solo shot to left center in the sixth.
Landon Etzel hit his first career home run in the ninth.
Houston now has 36 home runs with 18 coming in American Athletic Conference play.
Top Offensive Players
Jake Scheiner | 1x4, R, RBI, HR
Landon Etzel | 1x2, R, RBI, HR

Houston was held to just three hits, two of which were home runs. Junior Jake Scheiner belted his 13th long ball of the season, while freshman Landon Etzel cranked out his first career home run.

Pitching Breakdown:
Brayson Hurdsman | 1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Fred Villarreal | 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
Nolan Bond | 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 0 K
David Kanada | 0.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 0 K
Carter Henry | 2.0 IP | 1 H, 0 R, 4 K

Houston pitching struck out 10 Sam Houston State hitters, but would suffer the loss after allowing 11 earned runs on 14 hits. Freshman Brayson Hurdsman allowed three runs on one hit and one walk with two strikeouts, but fell to 2-2 on the year.

Freshman Fred Villarreal tossed 4.1 innings, allowing two earned runs on five hits with one walk in four strikeouts. He was relieved by sophomore Nolan Bond, who allowed three runs on four hits in 0.2 innings and freshman David Kanada, who allowed three runs on three hits in 0.1 innings.

Freshman Carter Henry was solid out of the bullpen, surrendering just one hit in 2.0 shutout innings with four strikeouts.

Maybe we should replace Todd with Shaun coach?