Sampson’s Best-Ever Group of Bigs?

White, Chaney, Carlton, Roberts, Powell, and Francis.

I say “Yes”.

3 of them are Seniors/ Grad students. Tremendous experience

Should reduce dependence on hitting 3’s and provide even more defensive options.

4 Likes

Either that or the 18 group: Davis, White, Brady, Zanna, and Harris. Tbh, Sampson has had guard dominate teams. Gorham probably had the best individual year last year.

1 Like

We had decent depth the year mentioned though we needed it with the fouls those guys ammassed. We were using three centers every game. Lol
A veteran Davis and freshman White was a great combination.
Harris was not SR quality Harris at that point and Zana was tough.
Brady very underrated but that is on him since he had to sit so much.

I personally like this group better because I think they will not be outmatched as much. This team can defend the legitimate bigs better and rebound better. White as a SR should also be the type of option that team did not have.

3 Likes

In very limited time, White showed some pretty good back-to-the-basket post moves this past year. Pair that with his strength, range and rebounding prowess, I think we’re going to see a very special year from him this coming year.

5 Likes

White can hit the 3, drive past you from the perimeter, make moves in the post and hit the mid-range… Straight up BALLER!!!

3 Likes

Carlton is a HUGE addition to our front court. A guy like him would have made a difference inside vs Baylor.
White can just flat out play. He will be our first option many times down court and can score without the ball coming to him.
Chaney is a luxury player who can post and in some cases dominate the matchup. He started to really come on rebounding last season and without Gorham I see his role expanding on that front.

I hope Roberts can develop into our version of Vital. Hoping he can demand minutes with the other three this season.
Powell will be a luxury player for depth this season if we have any foul trouble.

4 Likes

I see a dominant Inside Game creating endless wide open 3 point shot opportunities.

It also forces opponents to a higher reliance on shooting 3’s.

I loved our Bigs circa 1966-1984. They dominated and sometimes just crushed the will of our foes.

As I opined in the past this looks like Sampson’s best team. And our Bigs are the main reason why.

One must also keep in mind the three point shot was not in yet. It has changed the game and coaches recruit for it now. Yes it is nice to have a dominant 5 who can score in the block but the game will never to go back to that era of inside play again as long as the three point shot is at this very makable distance.

2 Likes

Roberts is my sleeper of the year candidate for us.

2 Likes

I agree with the Robert’s comment.

He is our 2nd. Big off the bench(after Carlton). He is a good looking shot blocker and his rebounding should greatly improve in this, his third Coog season.

The big man usage scheme of the 2018-2019 season, which featured “tag team” play by the Brady, Brison, and Harris, was not focused on scoring a bunch of offensive points. Instead, it was about playing sticky defense around the basket, and, yes, fouling. In essence, in every game that year “our center” had 15 fouls to give (before Cedrick Alley would come in).

I see this year’s team having more big man offensive ability. The question is, how many opportunities (i.e. first shots) will they get? The 2018-2019 team had some outside scorers: Armoni, Corey Davis, and Nate. - Last year, Sasser (sometimes), Grimes, and Tyson (on certain occasions) were our “long distance operators”. But, only one of them is still here. - So, someone else will need to step up on the outside. (And “someone else” could be more than one guy.)

We’re talking just UH, right?

If not, you’re leaving out the respective Najera and Blake Griffin eras.

1 Like

Just UH era.

I wonder what Maravich’s average would have been with the 3 point shots. His favorite shot was a pull up jumper from above the key. As it was, he averaged 44.2 points a game.

1 Like

Ya think lol. Or Calvin Murphy. Or how about our own Jeff Hickman, Poo Welch or Miike Young

And of course none of those guys were Bigs, the topic of this thread.

If we get increased scoring from our Bigs the team will lose very few games.

Very few.

Maravich was really big in Baton Rouge.