San Antonio Commanders

XFL, CFL, AAF
too many minor league football leagues.

If the CFL was smart it would expand into Europe. Canadian football with all the passing would do well over there. Change the name to the International Football League.

The AAF got the Gordon Gecko treatment. Seems the tech portion is the valuable portion. I feel bad for the players and staff.

I think there is room for a Spring league. The USFL was doing well but lead by Trump they wanted to force their way into the NFL by moving to the fall.

The CFL does not see itself as a minor league, instead it’s a different brand of football.

Something just does not make sense about the AAF folding, sure it didn’t have NFL players but it was on the NFL network. Seems it has some support from the NFL.

1 Like

What makes no sense is when the “new” owner took control. Are you telling us no guarantee was put in writing when he did take control. No one invests $100M with the intent to close down shop a few days later. It is already reported that lawsuits are coming. Of all people Ebersol Jr is not naive. Something is rotten in Denmark

1 Like

I’m glad our former players got to cash some checks and show their stuff. But

It’s been proven over and over and over and over
 these gypsy leagues never last. Only the old AFL lasted and that was because there was plenty of marketing room.

1 Like

The USFL did well, it was only when they went to the fall and sued that the wheels came off. ESPN did a 30 for 30 on the USFL that was great.

I’m hoping that the XFL will be similar to the original USFL in that regard.

I hope that it will 1) be located in large, major, proven football markets that will generate more revenue (via ticket sales, TV ratings, and merchandising), 2) that it will have the advantage of Vince McMahon’s cash backup and marketing/media prowess, and 3) will work in the NFL off-season and won’t try to compete head to head.

It may still fail, as the first XFL did, but at least I think that it will have better prospects that the AAF did, if it does those things. Or at least, I’m guessing so.

Maybe some of the Coogs that just lost their jobs can catch on with the new Houston XFL team, as I said.

https://twitter.com/NotoriousMbu/status/1113252029642604544

It will be interesting to see what lessons Vince has learned this time around,

I’m not a Bince fan but I love football so I will give it a look. San Antonio showed it could again support a team. The attendance at non San Antonio games was awful. I did like how they tried to place players from the area. It’s the only reason I watched the Commanders. It was disappointing seeing the Birmingham attendance given the ties to Auburn and Bama players.

The AAF was in decent markets. The weather for their games sucked. They might have been better served starting the season after the final 4. Better weather and it would also put them past opening day in baseball.

Oh well, sadly the AAF will just be a footnote in the history of professional football.

Folding unexpectedly (although I expected it) is not unusual in the business world and typically employees don’t get much notice.
Nothing to see here!

1 Like

So the AAF is no more or at best “suspended” It was previously reported that Dundon invested $250M. He did not but he did invest $70M.

Who in their mind invest this kind of money on “payroll”? It sure does not add up. We should know more in the coming days/months.

1 Like

Hope the UH’ers make it on an NFL team

2 Likes

The NFL sent out a memo to all team to not negotiate or contact any AAF players. They can only contact players if the league is shut down, since it is only suspended it would violate NFL rules. That sucks even more for the players leaves them in further limbo.

I read that most players were notified while at practice. When they got back to the hotel they were living in they found the hotel had already checked the out and their belongings we in the lobby.

That’s cold.

1 Like

This can’t be right because the AAF contracts allowed players to be signed by the NFL.

It was right but it changed yesterday. The AAF yesterday sent notices to its plsyers they have been terminated. Thus opening the door to being contacted by NFL teams. Still a crappy situation for players.

This was all about an app. This interview will give you a good overview of why Dundon did this. I believe in karma.
https://www.mighty1090.com/episode/jeff-garner-sounds-like-we-were-backed-into-a-corner-took-the-money-gave-somebody-control-to-do-whatever-they-wanted/
Dundon subedprimed them.

Yep, he basically saw that technology and felt the $70M was worth it; he’ll make a ton more as the owner of it.

Hope he gets sued and punished for it. Dirty move.

2 Likes

Every Carolina Hurricane ticket holder should look closely of their owner. What a piece of s
!!!
Karma Dundon
Karma.

1 Like

“It’s pretty nuts,” said former University of Houston standout running back Kenneth Farrow, who moves out of his apartment Friday in San Antonio after rushing for 372 yards and four touchdowns for the now-defunct Commanders. "We actually went out to practice and you could tell something was up from the body language before they told us the league was being shut down. It was a pretty emotional event. A lot of guys got emotional. Everybody was taken by surprise. It was a pretty rough day for everybody, unfortunate for the players, unfortunate for the coaches. Everybody went to the locker room and had to pack up their belongings and book their own flights.

“The funding from the league is cut off. Everybody is in the same boat. It was a pretty unique situation. We had that college atmosphere. We were living with our teammates and were around each other 24-7. Guys were really close. The opportunity, the situation couldn’t have gone any better. Unfortunately, there was some shadiness on the business side.”