San Antonio Commanders

Alliance of American Football players are on three-year, $250,000 non-guaranteed contracts, per ESPN. They will receive $70,000 in the first year, $80,000 in the second, and $100,000 in the third. They also have incentives to make more, per CBS Sports Radio. Players have the freedom to leave their AAF team to join an NFL roster at any time.

2 Likes

Win win for everyone!

10. WR Greg Ward Jr., San Antonio Commanders

Greg Ward Jr.'s transition from collegiate quarterback to professional wide receiver is going well.

Ward was one of college football’s most exciting players as a three-year starter for the Houston Cougars. The dual-threat quarterback amassed 11,080 total yards and 93 total touchdowns in 49 games played. But a small frame (5’11" and 186 pounds) and nominal arm talent forced him to make a position switch.

He started his professional career as an undrafted free agent with the Philadelphia Eagles while trying to learn a new position. Ward spent the 2017 campaign on the Eagles practice squad but was released before the '18 regular season.

As a member of the San Antonio Commanders, Ward made the most impressive catch of opening weekend. One reception doesn’t mean Ward has arrived, but the skill set involved in the play showed his growth. The 23-year-old tracked the ball over his shoulder, displayed late burst to separate and extended to make the catch away from his body.

Furthermore, Ward’s efficiency trumped other targets. He tied for the league lead with five receptions on seven targets. Drops were a problem during the AAF’s first weekend of play, but Ward, the Commanders’ second option after 6’4" Mekale McCay, produced.

Ward is a multipurpose threat as a receiver, returner and emergency quarterback.

“I was really pleased when we got Greg, and as I learned more about him, I was even more pleased,” Commanders head coach Mike Riley said, per Cole Thompson of the Alliance’s official site. “He’s a terrific athlete who can do a lot of things.”

2 Likes

What was it like having a breakout game in Week 1?

“I honestly don’t feel like I had a breakout game. I’m always looking to get better. I didn’t feel like I did my best anyway. I was just trying to make a few plays whenever my number was called. I just feel like I have to get better. That’s a must. I don’t think I had a breakout game. That’s just what I’m working for [in practice] every single day, working on things I didn’t do well in the game.”

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/SHPawdcast/status/1097244012195532801
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1097244211273904128

1 Like

He got bent up on that landing.

Where can i watch this game?

What a snag by Ayers.

1 Like

It’s on CBS Sports the same network the UH basketball game was on. Some UH Cougars putting on a show!

1 Like

CBS Sports Network or CBS on-line.

Ayers and Farrow are doing the same awesome stuff they did for the Coogs. Fun to watch, for sure.

2 Likes

And Ward was the go to receiver last week. Good stuff.

https://twitter.com/aafcommanders/status/1097246992407908353

4 Likes

You can watch it on your phone for free through the AAF app.

I don’t mean to sound sexist but watching the Commanders halftime show has 2 very pretty lady analysts and they know football. That’s something different that the NFL doesn’t have.

I’m still not sure about their usage of “air yards”, but whatever.

After a Ward catch I heard someone yell “Go Coogs”
Farrow looks slim, but stilll is running hard, fun to watch.

1 Like

Mbu with a scoop-and-score!!!

7 Likes

Way to go Mbu.

1 Like

The UH factor for SA is impressive.

3 Likes