SEC: Change the Miss. Flag, or NO SEC titles

I’ve seen the “stars and bars” in upstate NY, Maine and Delaware… That is blatant racism… It’s not even the south.

I understand that defense, and I understand the defensiveness from people when they get told matter of factly that your heritage sucks. There is no level of explanation and rational fact bringing up that will change that kind.

Sometimes the culture just has to be torn out by the roots to change. This is one of those times, in our society we can’t and should not stop individuals from their own wrong-headed beliefs we can try and change them. But as a society as a whole much of the “Southern heritage” needs to be in museums and history books not in any place of honor or pride.

I was just trying to explain a possible scenario on why they agreed in 2003 to remove the stars and bars from their state flag in 2003 but let the new one have a base design of the original Confederate flag. The original flag is not well known, but clearly their state flag was very close to it.

All they should really need to do is read Alexander Stephens (VP of Confederacy) Cornerstone speech of the Confederacy and it is about as racist of a speech that anyone could possibly write and deliver. Basically, justifying slavery as God’s will.

Bingo!

History needs to be taught clearly without a bias. Every time it is no matter what the bias essential facts are lost and the view of the past is marred. The only way to do that is to have multiple teachers for a class. I had that at the school I attended before I transferred to UH. The desire of which you speak came from the Daughters of the Confederacy who put up most of the monuments and influenced the teaching in schools more than any other group.

Yes, history is so complicated and so much is captured by a thin slice and often biases are injected, and the Daughters of the Confederacy did exactly that. They had history re-written from their biased and agenda filled perspective that influenced at least 3/4s of a century and more of thinking and beliefs. But now their efforts are part of history and what they did should be understood for how they influenced history.

The scary part of today is that so many who are protesting and or rioting (tearing down statues of property they do not own is rioting to me) is they are trying to erase or also re-write history by casting their values upon all of the cast without understanding much from the past and the context of those times of what they were handed from their history, what could be done in their time, and what they produced going forward out of their times.

So much of what is going on today, is definitely Taliban mindset like. Don’t like the history or cultures from those before, just destroy it although it is against current laws and their rights to do so are null.

The problem with calling out systemic racism is the implication that there is no free will choices in the matter and we have to tear down the institution instead of just reforming it. BTW the systemic mindset is found in the writings of Marx and has been practiced in the Soviet Union by killing off all the land owners so the state could own the land. I am not attempting to label all groups with that tag, I am just noting for those who don’t see it that the idea that we have to defund and take away the police is a big mistake that has been done in the past with terrible results.

Citation needed.

Michigan’s state police will be defunded because they don’t have any money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/5197278002

But it is better than Illinois:

I wonder what Texas’ will be? We had that 15+ billion shortfall in 2011 after federal dollars stopped rolling in.

Michigan had even more trouble because their governor went way over the top in terms of shut down. Nothing was being allowed. Not even buying and selling of seeds for planting or going across the street to talk with your neighbors. She is trying to look for a way to keep the President from having a rally in her state. Note to her that is really dumb and likely to get severe push back in the federal courts since it would be a partisan stand on her part.

You sure they didn’t do the smart thing? They got hit hard early on and put in measures to get things under control. They were at a tipping point and it could have gotten really ugly there. They are on the decline.

2 Likes

P5 Texas’ Covid deaths per 1 million population is 78. Michigan’s is 612. The people who throw rocks at Texas have to explain why Texas is still doing very well vis a vis the other states in terms of deaths. Our cases are up because we have been open, the other states will soon follow suit. It is here it is staying with us.

Federal dollars for testing may come to an end. We have 7 of the 13 sites getting the money.

Totally not political in any way, shape, of form.

This is strictly business. Ever hear the story of how the Pritzkers bested the current occupant of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Research the Grand Hyatt deal. The deal that put him on the map.

Again this the Hotel business. Not political.

Yeah they hate each other.

Really hate each other

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pantagraph.com/news/local/flick-fact-why-do-trump-and-pritzker-not-like-each-other/article_23398410-aa3e-588d-adf2-82a0efe05eec.amp.html

How did this thread turn COVID?