Second Half Collapses = Bad coaching

Team is reminding me of Mike Sherman A&M teams which always seemed to blow it in the second half.

They didn’t looked gassed IMHO. They just made incredibly painful mental mistakes. We went up 10 with 6:44 to play then the D gave up a huge pass play to the 10 plus a facemask penalty. TD came shortly after that. Total drive time 1:30. To that point Memphis had the ball a total of 6:56 seconds in the second half. This wasn’t about energy. Focus, skill, scheme, discipline but not energy.

4 Likes

We’ve had 2nd half issues seemingly all season.

That suggests to me that the opposing coaches are nearly always making better second half adjustments than our coaches are.

Certainly a damning testament to Applewhite’s first season.

3 Likes

As long as they get out the AX at season’s end, I am not worried.

If they (RK and TF) decide to give him another year, then I worry !!!

They need to cut bait !!

1 Like

IMHO, short work week had a lot to do with the lack of energy in the 4th quarter. They looked gassed to me. I will not argue that the coaches make good adjustments at half time, nor during the game, itself. I’m guessing it’s a learning curve with a minimal slope. I do believe the offense displayed a lot of energy and effort all game long, and their results should have ended with a win. All this being said, the game was exceptional, except for the ending score. Most exciting game I remember since Nebraska game in the Cotton Bowl. Nail biter right up until the end . . . . .

1 Like

This sums it up right here.

2 Likes

Defense coordinator needs to go. No excusses . No coordination at all to stop the offense in second half. Applewhite should have went for fourth down. If coogs make it game over. If not at least go down with a fight.

1 Like

Wow defense has been good all year except last two game and you want fire the DC. The defense reason our losses haven’t been by bigger margins. And for all those saying we don’t blitz enough. Have you seen our DBs? You really expect them to be able cover man to man? I don’t. Orlando could blitz a lot because we have had a good secondary. Coach D does not have that luxury and can’t leave secondary on a island. I also think In Tulsa game the defense lost heart finally of makings stops then our offense giving the ball right back.

1 Like

disagree. birden was out, Duke was hobbled and there was over 3 minutes left with the ball on our 41.

Where is M Car? He was looking good a few games ago.

Memphis scored 42 in one half, fire the dc, this is not acceptable.

1 Like

Did you want to fire Orlando last year when he gave up 34 first half points and 2 fourth qtr TDs to Memphis? Total of 48…CMD defense gave up 35…let’s remember that there was also a Kick Ret TD. I’m not knocking Orlando…just pointing out that he was torched as well with Bowser, both Wilsons, Taylor and Oliver, Adams(who was out tonite).

2 Likes

Been waiting for that one.

Last year’s team had Tom Herman leaving cloud draped all over the it . This year’s collapse has no excuse but poor coaching .
A coach worth his salt, with the talent Houston has , does not lose the first two out of three in division conference games and especially in the AAC.

Going to be a long spring and summer

I wonder which coaches “worth their salt” you have in mind that we could have hired, Tom?