Should Sampson be forced to make staff moves after this season?

@Progs don’t get me wrong; I’m liking the discussion and it’s a discussion worth having.

I’m worried we might struggle next year, especially if Gray leaves. It will be a talented, but young and inexperienced team and should test CKS’s development skills. If Gray leaves, Galen will have to step up and be more consistent. He has games that he shows flashes and others where he’s lost; why he’s on the bench. Davis will need to be healthy next year as well.

If we lose Gray, I hope we land Corey Davis as he may be another Gray. If Harris makes it in, all the better.

If we lose Gray, I expect the schedule to be light again.

This is my biggest fear with CKS. If he is going to strike out on the big time freshman recruits, then he has to develop the Galen Robinson’s of the world.

His best players so far have been Gray, Dotson, Davis, and Pollard. All 4 had offers from big time programs.

I commend him for the development of Van Beck. I need to see more success stories like him going forward.

Agreed. Especially since we have some nice high school talent coming in with White and Adewumni. White should push for a starting position early, but may be a 6th man backing up Davis and playing a role like Chicken is. Adewumni has talent, but it’s a bit raw. Could see him getting time at the 3, but probably won’t be a huge factor next year; at least early on.

Sampson’s always relied on JUCOs and transfers though. The team he took to the Final Four at OU had only one player that wasn’t JUCO or a transfer and that player didn’t play much.

I don’t care if we ever become a school that recruits a bunch of McDonald’s A-A out of HS.

I just want players. Players who won’t embarrass the school off the court. I don’t care if they are local or out of state. I don’t care if they are HS or JC or transfers. I just want players.

Sampson seems to find those kids. If that means taking transfers and jucos, so be it. It’s how Pat did it. It’s how Penders did it.

Currently, we are ranked 47th in Pomeroy.

For the second year in a row, we’ve won at least 15 of our first 22 games. That’s happened only 3 other times (all under Penders) since Pat Foster left.

The program is headed in the right direction.

4 Likes

This took all the words out of my mouth. Its not perfect, but we won’t get a better coach than Sampson and his seat should be ice cold for a good long while.

2 Likes

Sad thing we can’t. But I do disagree on one point. I think next year’s team with Gray is clearly better than this years squad. Out of the departing players, Dotson is the only player that has played like a division 1 player. Chicken is just too soft. Experience hardly means anything these days in college basketball. Last year’s team had less experience, and CKS said it was clearly a better team. We may be younger, but more talented. Plus, CKS will bring several Jucos with big V who is redshirting.

2016-2017 so far:
7-7 vs RPI Top 175 (top half of Div1)
8-0 vs RPI Bottom 176 (bottom half of Div1)

We are above average. We have avoided the catastrophic losses. Not great but good.

Current UH RPI = 60

2015-2016:
7-8 vs top half
13-2 vs bottom half; losses to Tulane and USF

Ended at 59.

When I look at these numbers I feel optimistic about the future. We are on pace to match last season, even though we have a harder schedule and have been missing a starter for most of the year.

2h
I don’t care if we ever become a school that recruits a bunch of McDonald’s A-A out of HS.

We don’t need a bunch of McDonald’s players, we just need more talented recruits. That’s not too much to ask. I’m tired of getting beat down by P5 schools, and Cincy and SMU.

You should do the list for 1-100, 101-199, 200 and up.

I’m pretty sure the committee marks the 101-199 as bad losses and 200 and up as really bad losses. The LSU and Harvard losses balance out with the Vermont and Rhode Island wins. The biggest problem is UConn is our biggest road win. We have to beat SMU at home and beat Memphis on the road with our only loss being to Cincy on the road from here on out to get back to the bubble. I doubt this team is capable of that but I’d rather being wrong than right in this case.

I’m not really looking at it in a NCAA tourney perspective. From the beginning of the season I knew the only way was winning the conference tourney.

But since I already have the numbers in front of me.

1-100
2-4
101-199
5-3
200 and up
6-0

I think this is a completely different team with Davis back. We got abused so badly in the paint while he was out. Talking conference play only, I think we would have beaten Memphis for sure and probably UCF and Cincy if Davis had been playing. In my mind, there will be a huge asterisk next to this team’s final record because Davis was out so much. We have got to focus on getting quality depth in the front court going forward.

I’ve been watching since Ray McCullem. Before CKS the biggest recruit I remember us getting out of high school was Lanny Smith. With CKS we got Galen Robinson and Armoni Brooks. Two pretty big gets coming out of high school. To compare CKS’s recruiting to Penders is selling these last two classes short. Sure, Rob Gray reminds me of a Penders recruit in the way his raw talent is just off the charts, but he’s a JUCO transfer and may not play here as a senior (although the only place I’ve of that is on here). Next year looks like it’ll be an even better haul. So I’m not getting the Penders comparisons.

Pretty sure House and Knowles are the top two rated players we have recruited out of high school since Ford.

“We” are not trying to get rid of him !

There are always a few uninformed “fans” who are on the coaches case after 1 game. They cannot grasp that Cosch K ain’t coming here !!

In the last 20 years we have averaged 15 wins and 16 losses (7-9 in conference).
In the last 10 years we have averaged 18 wins and 14 losses (8-8).

Our best year in the last 20 years was Tournament Tom’s 4th year where he went 24-10 (11-5), including a 2-1 showing in the CBI.

CKS’s firs year was 13-19 (4-14). Last year was 22-10(12-6). This year if you’re a pessimist, we should go 19-11 (10-8) before tourney time. If you’re an optimist, we’ll end up 21-9(12-6).

I think you guys that are calling for changes need to stop trolling.

Why are you comparing CKS to coaches that were fired?

Thats like saying CMA should keep his job if we win 8 games a year because Levine won 8 and then 7 games his last 2 years.

We should hold this staff to high standards if we ever expect to get the program back to where it once was.

Anything less than perennial tournament team is unacceptable. CKS is working towards that but losing 4 out of 5 games does not inspire confidence. Good to see Davis back. This might be a team that peaks at just the right time. March!

1 Like

Do you really think that all of the assistants are doing a great job? Most coaches make adjustments. Sometimes because they are so successful assistants move on. Are any other teams looking at our staff and saying, “I see a future head coach for us right there.”

Not sure if you haven’t noticed, but our recruiting has hit a glass ceiling even with the new facilities. At the end of this year, we not only lose Dotson and Knowles but we lose our home court for an entire year. Next season we will be lucky to be .500 and then the first season in the upgraded arena we will be right back to the NIT while we watch the hype from bigger crowds dwindle as everyone sees “nothing has changed.”

We aren’t in C-USA 2.0 anymore. UConn will be back, Memphis will get stronger and SMU keeps out-recruiting us. It might look like we are accelerating but SMU is the pace car and it is pulling away. So yeah, let’s wait it out and say everything is great while we watch any momentum that can be built from the big name coach, new training facilities and arena upgrade go to waste because our staff is perfect from top to bottom.

Good lord Moderators. Please add an ignore button.

2 Likes

I didn’t start the comparisons. The comparisons were narrow sighted.

That is the good thing about these boards… there are no IQ requirements !!