Should we Open Schools in the Fall

We aren’t 100% with our decision yet, but since that is what our girl desires to do and we can’t control how good remote will be executed along with in class room execution and how safe it will or won’t be and home schooling will allow us to avoid any disruption that could happen regardless of cause. It seems to make the most sense.

1 Like

You bring up parents. You use an s.
What do you do with the single parent?
Are you going to pay for a nanny?
Are you going to pay for the child or children’s lunch?

How many single parent are in America?
According to the following website

Single Parent Statistics - What Do They Tell Us?.

There are 14 millions single parent
They are responsible for raising 21.6 million children.
How many African American single parents are they?
Are you going to put even more economical strain for minorities?

Every single pediatrician study points out that children need to be at school safely. This is true even in a social distant setting.
Why is it that doctors with an overwhelming majority are pushing and insisting for children to go back to school? Why?
Each doctor answers to an oath. They have nothing to gain for saying so. We now know that currently children’s abuse and children suicides is dangerously increasing.
European and Asian classrooms are divided in half (student’s count) Yes they do wear mask and are social distancing. It is not easy but this is without a doubt better than having a 45 minutes zoom session.

Children of all ages that have pre-condition including diabetes should not be in school.

Teachers:
Teachers at risk with pre-conditions should not be in school but should be teaching pre-conditioned students that are at home.

The LAUSD demands have nothing to do with COVID-19.
The same can be said in many states.
Teachers union should not dictate the future of our children at the detriment of our economy and the livelihood of 14 million single parents.

For far too long the teacher’s unions have driven our children education.
How can we be satisfied that our children graduate from high school not knowing basic history or geography. The decision to IMPOSE SOCIAL STUDIES in our schools has had devastating results.
No it is not acceptable that a high school senior has no clue what the civil war was all about.
No it is not acceptable that a high school senior does not know his or her own state’s geography. There are plenty of hours in the day to teach the basics. This is not a question of money (India does it with far less Dollars) so why isn’t this happening?

The Teacher’s Union could care less if our children go back to school or not. They get paid either way.

I wouldn’t even know where to begin with this.

This has a whole lot of wrong, and some nutty.

You got a link for this, because I am sure it is wrong.

As far as your rant about unions and history and geography and social studies. It’s all wrong. I’ll just say that my 11th grader could put most of the people on this board out for the count as far as history goes. I don’t know about this mastery of geography, but I know he can use the map function on his phone–so he’ll be alright.

4 Likes

This is just for you Mike. I am sincerely sending my congratulations to you and your son for being so proficient. Now let’s look at my “rant” and at some numbers.

Geography is even worse.

2 Likes

I completely agree with you here. We were not taught correctly about the civil war, we were not even allowed to bring up slavery as a reason for it. Geography as well, I believe some Christian groups have opposed it because some of the teachings would contradict with the bible. You can’t explain how mountains came to be without offending people apparently.

I grew up watching the history channel all the time (back when it was real history on there and not reality tv!) so I learned plenty on my own. Kids (in general) are so lazy nowadays, with all the resources they have it is crazy how little they know.

1 Like

The Charlemagne Institute is an interesting
organization. A well funded organization of the Koch family.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Intellectual_Takeout

We as a society should do more to support those families who will be challenged with schooling at home if they do not feel comfortable sending their child to in person instruction. Start by making the curriculum flexible enough to accommodate working parents.

And yes if financial assistance is needed due to loss of income if a parent has to reduce their hours or stop working to keep their children safe in the middle of a surge, it should be provided as unemployment

This is a legit disaster. Treat it as one instead of strong arming people into social gatherings when we aren’t in the clear yet.

With regards to opinions from experts…you can find studies and expert opinions of those saying we should open, and you can find those saying we shouldn’t. Depends on whatever you want to beleive.

We should at least give parents the means to make the decision for themselves on the basis of their kids safety.

2 Likes

Agree this needs to be done. I think it would be
appropriate to treat this as true national disaster on the scale few of us living today have ever seen. No
more half baked ideas or half way approaches.

First, it’s just ideological nonsense to say teachers’ unions drive instruction. Knowing how it really works, that idea is actually pretty funny. I’ll post a district’s scope and sequence below.

In a very general sense, kids today don’t have the intellectual curiosity their forbears did as young people, not that there aren’t plenty of kids like Lawbert’s, who will be better citizens and more knowledgeable, empathetic human beings because of their interest. I think smart phones are a big reason for that along with, to an extent, the diminution of authority. Here’s the scope and sequence for American history in CCISD:

https://www.ccisd.net/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=89052585

What a concept! Options!!! :grinning:

Liked:

“We should at least give parents the means to make the decision for themselves on the basis of their kids safety.”

1 Like

Yeah until there is a vaccine that is fully deployed, I do think parents should be given the choice to send their kids to physical school or not once the infection rates are at a reasonable level.

The choice should go both ways though. As in, if you offer a remote option, don’t make it so rigid that it is almost punitive and impossible for working parents to adhere to.

The reason why business operations adjusted so easily and so well to the instaneous migration to remote business operations is because of globalization of the work force and the tools, infrastructure, and processes that have evolved over the last 15 years. What is being talked about in the trade mags and so forth is that COVID has leaped frog what was expected to evolve further with the remote work place or work place of the future over the next 5 years actually happened over a couple of months.

It is finally education’s opportunity to take advantage of the same that business operations have taken advantage of over the past several decades. With how expensive a college education has become, the diinosuars of the future or possibly near future is all the expesive building infrastructure that has been built at the university level and the cost to attend universities have gone through the roof. Its time for education to come into the 21st century.

More and valid options for education need to continue to evolve. It is one of the ways to bridge the gap across society.

1 Like

Yes, that is the key, that and districts having the money and will to enforce strict guidelines. Once those two criteria are met, I think we can start coming back, but half of parents aren’t going to send their kids anyway. Where I am, we’re online the first three weeks, and then if the situation improves (Maybe it will. Deaths are up in the state, largely because of a new counting method, but the curve has been looking good for a few days; let’s hope it lasts) by September 10th or so, we go back to a dual-model.

If you continue to offer a robust and flexible online program then you naturally reduce the population density in schools as a large percentage of the parents will likely opt to keep their kids at home.

The challenge is keeping parity between the physical and the remote options with regards to the rigor of the curriculum, quality of the instruction, grading, and attendance policies. The last part in particular tricky since there of compulsory attendance laws in Texas that criminalize excessive absences.

The good news about online school is that teachers are about to start training on how to be effective with it. I believe our training starts the week before we go back.

We have no plan.

In general things are not just going to snap back to normal once the virus is gone. COVID forced us to learn how to function remotely, and you’re right, it merely accelerated a trend that we were headed down either way. The trend of automation and taking things online really was pushed 5 years forward and there are job implications related to that.

White collar businesses, who have learned that their operations can fully function with a remote workforce, will eventually realize that they can reduce a lot of their operating expenses by limiting their office space, and this has implications for commercial real estate and businesses that rely on dense work hour foot traffic. As consumers, we’ve learned to take even more of our shopping online, so the retail apocalypse will shift into high gear and swallow up even more businesses and jobs. Businesses in general accelerated the automation of manual work amidst COVID, and they are not going to undo what they’ve learned and implemented once COVID is over. There are widespread job implications with that.

Not only do i feel comfortable but I am lookin forward to returning. I left the private sector to teach kids in a classroom and to help their lives become better. Teaching by zoom is not effective, it strains the home, it takes away my ability to teach.

1 Like

Who is paying for all of this? Are we just going to go on pouring trillions of dollars into the economy. Inflation or deflation is going to come to all of us if we don’t start using our brains to deal with this.

1 Like

Of course.

Which is why you align the tax revenue with the financial burden being taken on.

Need to look at things from a macroeconomic perspective because COVID in general is going to ravage the working class disproportionately…and because they are so large in raw numbers, they make up a huge proportion of the consumer economy. The flip side is that your amazons and a lot white collar workers (like myself) will be fine…BUT If enough is not done to keep the tens of millions who will be out of work for whatever reason financially whole, it will have cascading effects that impact the economy as a whole. In that scenario…the Amazons and us white collar workers living the WFH life will be impacted

It risks getting political at this point so I’ll leave it at that. Open to talking privately