Six UH athletes just tested positive

According to Duarte.

Berman too.

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1271551782901219331?s=20

I think this is going to be standard for teams this season.

1 Like

Feeling less confident we’re going to be seeing any CFB this fall…

4 Likes

Definitely not without testing everyone which UH just tried to pull off very unsuccessfully.

4 Likes

Correct I think we can forget about it this year, what a shame

Agree. With a good plan, athletes still caught it after a few days. All sports just died. Any future football plans just ended, until a vaccine is created.

Problem is, waiting to test until kids show symptoms was a terribly dumb plan.

3 Likes

Can’t control what happens when they leave the premises - now you hope where they reside they didn’t expose it to other athletes at other places

1 Like

Well, I really like Chris Pezman as our AD but this
was a boneheaded decision of large proportions.
It’s not like this hasn’t been in the news. No one
should have been allowed on campus without first getting tested.

I certainly hope the 6 positive and symptomatic students make a full recovery. Is it possible, after 14 day quarantine and another round of testing that workouts could be resumed ? How did Alabama
handle their episode ? Hate to write off the fall just
yet.

I disagree, positive doesn’t mean symptomatic
And I think the understanding on this disease is evolving
Getting it, if you are not in a vulnerable class is almost meaningless
We won’t need a vaccine and things will be back to a new normal With enhanced cleaning, sanitizer and some protective measures in place. I believe things will evolve quickly over the next 30 days as govt and other related entities realize the rise in positives don’t mean a significant rise in hospitalizations or deaths

5 Likes

The news update said symptomatic and tested positive. And Houston covid hospitalizations have been trending up for several days.

If even just 1 of the 6 has a bad episode with
covid-19( and it does happen) , UH will be in the news for a long time and not in a positive way.

4 Likes

lol no… we are seeing a rise in hospitalizations along with the increase in positive tests.

2 Likes

We need to quarantine again immediately and shut down the non covid resistant workplaces. The resistant workplaces like grocery stores, academy, wal mart, amazon, the post office and the like are okay but restaurants and bars and non essential places need to go back to closed. Protests should still be allowed but only to protest racism not anything else.

6 months to a year and it will be okay. Maybe, unless we get another wave. Then we should shut down for at least 3 years.

2 Likes

Probably be in the news as long as the Brooklyn nets that all tested positive, or Tom hanks, or the guy from the jazz, or the Oklahoma state linebacker, or the Denver Bronco. They have not recovered from all the negative publicity yet.

I bet everyone gets tested now…might even go back into lockdown in the Houston area

Sarcasm aside, I really don’t think your average mom and pop place will close again. If they survived the first closure I doubt they are able to survive a second. People get sick. People die every day. 8000 a day in the us on average. No one wants to, but it happens.

Universities cannot survive their bloated budgets without kids on campus. Baylor is getting sued right now by a group of students that want their tuition reimbursed. Why pay for university rates when community colleges are cheaper and just as much online?

It will be different but it won’t close again. Besides we were all civil when it was 75 degrees all day during the initial lockdown. Highs near 100 make people crazy. Add in the civil unrest across the country and closing will be a powder keg for local governments to deal with.

We will have football as we see more and more athletes get the covid, recover and move on.

Pr wise this sucks as a UT website the other day posted that UH was not testing anyone. Probably a bad move.

3 Likes

I’m just curious as to why we didn’t test everyone. I have a cousin that plays for New Mexico State and even they tested all players

2 Likes

I disagree, positive doesn’t mean symptomatic
And I think the understanding on this disease is evolving
Getting it, if you are not in a vulnerable class is almost meaningless
We won’t need a vaccine and things will be back to a new normal With enhanced cleaning, sanitizer and some protective measures in place. I believe things will evolve quickly over the next 30 days as govt and other related entities realize the rise in positives don’t mean a significant rise in hospitalizations or deaths.>

88coog, a lot of coaches are older and have high blood pressure and other health issues, meaning they’re much more likely to experience severe illnesses or death if they test positive. I’m not sure they’re willing to risk their own health and or their families. Also, cases are on the rise again in a lot of states, and it’s factually incorrect that an increase positive cases won’t result in a rise in hospitalizations. Something to keep in mind… a lot of states and S American countries are already into hot weather, but the virus hasn’t disappeared. When flu season starts and COVID cases go back up, people won’t know the difference and all he’ll is going to break loose unless we make significant progress with testing or find a vaccine.

4 Likes

Wish I could share your optimism on college football. As of now I think chances of having a full
college season have just gone under 50%. NFL maybe.

All it takes is for one college athlete to die or became severely disabled by it and the season is toast. It’s not the flu. It’s a communicable disease - unlike car accidents, cancer, heart attacks, etc.

But I hope I’m wrong and your right about a college
football season :mask:

1 Like