SMU Is Pivotal

So will Applewhite tape SMU jerseys to the floor as a doormat?

Nope, that’ll be their O-line for most of the game. lol

3 Likes

Someone should have asked him how his offense did in their bowl game last year

it hurts because it’s true

It hurts because it is an insult. Powerhouse is the tag line for the University of Houston, not the football team.

2 Likes

We should win this game based purely off how upset players should be about how bad we got embarrassed by a less talented team in Dallas last year. Good coaches will get the players up for this one, let’s see if we have a good one.

3 Likes

This could be ugly for our rebuilding program.

Our Defense needs to shut SMU down and win this one. I hope we get a lot of picks, and I think we will

For all us us who have seen these ridiculous 45-44 games with the Ponies, we won’t win that kind of game with them.
And I hope we blast them

Go Coogs!!!

1 Like

It also shows how ignorant the guy is.

2 Likes

Trolls have infested this site

3 Likes

One can hope.

1. SMU hasn’t beaten anyone good yet. Lost to a good team.
  2. The game is home
  3. Reminders of last year should help motivate
  4. Our D is stout
  5. Our O line HAS to step up. Period.
  6. The receivers have to catch the ball. Period. We have NO speed so

7. King needs a monster day

Facts!

Here is my concern: SMU’s low score for the season is 36 against TCU – more than Ok State scored against TCU. They average 48 per game. If the D can hold them to half (like against Tech), the offense has to score more than 24 to win the game. The UH offense has only scored more than 24 points against Rice and Rice gift-wrapped 10 points on two consecutive turnovers. UH is going to need to avoid turnovers and play pretty efficiently to win this one. Until this offense figures out some things, every contest is going to be a battle.

Last season, the offense was held under 30 points on only two occasions: @ SMU (16) and the bowl game (10). The Greg Ward effect I assume?

1 Like

I’m concerned about our offense scoring enough points to win the game. We’ve got to get some energy from the offensive side of the ball, or we’ll struggle. It’s easy to dismiss last year’s game as a fluke outcome, or make excuses, but the fact is SMU is going to be a confident team coming into the game, and the Coogs have to put some doubt in their minds early on.

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see the IJ-Sutton match-up. I’m assuming it’ll be Johnson covering him due to CS’s size and speed. Kid has 8 TDs thru 5 games. Also noticed Hicks is only completing 54% of his passes. Thinking they take a lot of shots down field. Will be fun to watch our front 7 take on their triple headed rushing attack of Jones, Freemon and West. SMU seems to be about 45/55-pass/rush. Thinking we need to put up a solid 30+ on the board to win this one.

1 Like

If our offense can’t extend some drives, SMU’s offense will wear our defense down. And I wouldn’t be shocked at all if Big Ed takes some more knee shots in this one, assuming he plays.

SMU’s secondary is pretty bad. I would love to see us take shots down the field early and often using the size of Dunbar and Jefferson. Maybe even some TE seam routes. We need to stretch these guys down the field to keep them out of the box.

1 Like

This is my worry evey game for the rest of the year, until the offense proves otherwise.

A positive I see with our offense is that we had TD drives of 80 and 85 yards. Our FG drives were 55 and 47 yards. We only got the ball in good field position twice, with a minute to go in the half (which was a few bad plays) and with a minute to go in the game where we ran clock and punted. Temple was trying to grind us down and hope to win late, SMU wont play like that. We will need to take advantage of the short fields against SMU as I have a feeling with will get at least a few with turnovers and 3 and outs.

This; SMU has one of the worst secondarys we’ve faced.