SMU Post Game Press Conference

1 Like

This game is what we will see next year and possibly more and more this year. Coogs going smaller with Fabian at the 5. With Harris gone next year hopefully Powell comes in ready to play 10-15 minutes per and maybe Grimes 1the same. But our strength will be the quality and depth of wing players. So I see Fabian playing 10-15 minutes at the 5 next year. Especially if Gorham improves his second season and/or Roberts comes in and is a rebounding athletic addition at PF.

2 Likes

we better bring in a 3pt ace if we want this offense to open up

2 Likes

Sasser started but Mills played 8 more minutes. Remember sophomore Armoni? Aac 6th man of the year and it wasn’t even close he’d come off the bench and light up the scoreboard. Sounds like this is how CKS wants to use Mills right now.

1 Like

We have our three point sniper sitting out as a transfer this season. Tyson the transfer from Idaho. He hit nearly 44% of his threes as a frosh( hitting 106 last year). He also shot 87% from the line. He will be a sophomore next year and is practicing this entire year with the team.

2 Likes

Does anybody know how Tyson is practicing? I’ve been trying to find quotes from Coach Sampson on his progress but haven’t really heard much. When he was talking about three point shooting on his radio show & the fact Mills and Sasser will continue to get a lot better, I was hoping he might talk a bit about Tyson next year, but he didn’t mention anything. I know that Tyson played in Italy, but I was curious if Tyson possessed enough other skills (besides shooting) to consistently see minutes next year.

That’s a really good question. Does Tyson has enough lateral quickness and defensive ability to play well for us next year, or might we end up relying more on Tramon Mark for his 3 point shooting?

Excellent FT defense by the Coogs!

And Coach Sampson with the Coach Holgerson-esque reaction to Duarte’s lineup change question.

1 Like

The little I saw before the season Tyson played extremely hard on D. Had some trouble getting his shots off but not unexpected during our intrasquad rehearsals.

In all honesty, for this board I kind of hope we don’t get quotes about Tyson after how carried away folks on here got with expectations for Gorham this year based on quotes from the staff last year.

4 Likes

CKS said he was the best player in practice at times and he wish he was available to play with last year’s team. Who is carried away based off that? He has been a little underwhelming even for modest standards.

Ask a question, duck the quick snark, prepare for a 10 minute soliloquy on hoops and life. CKS is the best.

5 Likes

Personally I think our best 3 point shooters are on the team right now…Mills, Hinton and Sasser can all shoot from down town…Mills and Hinton haven’t consistent but they will improve. Sasser, IMO, is our best outside shooter…but shooting four times is not going to prove that.
Sasser is learning to play a complete game on both sides of the ball…and I think he is a future star in the making…and I hope I am right lol

I’d be curious to see a heat map on Hinton’s three point shooting. Just based on watching, he seems to hit corner threes pretty consistently, but struggles much more from the wings and top of the key. Seeing the actual percentages would be helpful.

2 Likes

The video has been removed so I have no idea what CKS said.

I don’t think anyone’s three point percentages are very good right now…but the good news is that we are talking about two freshmen and a sophomore…better days to come…

Sorry Mike I’m not too sure what happened. Should work now though!

We definitely could have used him since Fabian was out for part of the year and took awhile to get into game shape. That was accurate.

Also, “best player in practice” doesn’t automatically mean that he was completely dominating a bunch of long 5 on 5 scrimmages. Maybe it means he had a great day in the rebounding drill CKS uses, which would be very believable. Or he was the best in a front court player shooting drill.

The expectations here got ridiculous considering we had some game footage and stats from him playing in the CAA to evaluate. I remember there was an OP talking about him as one of the better NBA prospects. When we signed him I thought it was a nice pick up to give us some front court depth and a potential rotation piece. I definitely wasn’t expecting an all-conference player or anything.

Also, CKS is definitely a straight shooter but he probably sometimes says what he says based on what he wants/thinks a player needs to hear. Maybe Gorham was getting antsy not playing last year and those comments were in part for his benefit.

Nate is currently 40% from three on the year, which is really good. I just suspect that he shoots the corner three at a much higher percentage than anywhere else.

2 Likes

On the football board, that kind of response will lead people to say he is a bad representation for the university.

1 Like