SMU, SMU

I prefer to eat sticks from oak trees in place of okra. No horrible crunch and no strings stuck between my teeth, at least the few I have left . . . . .

2 Likes

OK, CV, just ordered a 5-pack of mix from Bailey’s! I miss a really good gumbo. Only respectable substitute for great chili!

1 Like

You won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

Pickled Okra also taste great, FYI!

4 Likes

Okra cooked with pomegranate molasses is also really good!

3 Likes

I don’t have much to add to this conversation (but I do like fried okra and I do like gumbo but I have not had them together). I only posted to get on this epic Coogfans thread with a SMUrgasbord of topics

2 Likes

Yep
you gotta get your water boiling and stir the roux in too
until it’s mixed. That way it stays consistent and you control the thickness.

And, if you don’t like the gumbos, you can mix some tomato sauce real hot in your crock pot
then you can throw purple onions, garlic, red pepper, shrimp in until the onions are soft then you throw your okra in and let it cook for an hour
then pour it over white rice
mmmmmmmm
”tumatuh poins”.

“Eat befo yuh pappi do! And don’t forget da McIlhenny, foo!”

2 Likes

I like fried okra also 
 been awhile since I had any and don’t remember when or where I had some last or where to get some 
 I seem to recall some delicatessen at a food store but those have long since disappeared now 

As for okra 
 well it is considered a highly nutritious veggie 
 high in magnesium, folate, antioxidant, VitC, K1 and A and excellent for lowering blood sugars 

I like it strictly for gumbo or fried (if I can ever find it again) but not much for anything else 

2 Likes

I seriously love how this thread has evolved from being about SMU to our opinions about okra. I can tell how threatened we all are with the ponies this season :joy::rofl:

Cajun food makes everything better, Go Coogs!

1 Like

I’m a paleo/keto kind of guy that generally loves all things green but personally don’t care for okra. I’ll eat it but it certainly isn’t my favorite.

My coal miner grandfather from north Alabama called boiled okra “slicks” or sometimes just “snot”.

1 Like

SM who?

2 Likes

Anyone taste the okra they make at the Walmart deli? Yeah, I know how y’all are all looking at me right now, “New York City?! Get a rope!”

2 Likes

Church’s Chicken and Hartz Chicken both sell Fried Okra

1 Like

Add cooking oil to take slime out when boiling Okra.

I’m really craving fried okra!!

2 Likes

We’ll get SMU
what we eat after
now that is important.

Church’s okra might be a bit underrated. lol Actually most chains have pretty good fried okra.

1 Like

Appreciate that but now that Grandma has passed I seriously doubt I’ll ever eat boiled okra again. I was a good soldier though for all the years she was with us because she was overall a great southron food cook and loved feeding her grandson. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have to have it in my gumbo. I love fried okra also my mother always grew some in her mini garden and would fry it from time to time.

This might be the best thread hijack in the history of coogfans though it went from discussing SMU to gumbo and okra. ahahahahaa

3 Likes

Oh definitely a gumbo staple for sure. I was talking about it being boiled all by itself.

Much better mixed in with some black eyed peas, liberal amount of tabasco and cornbread to soak up the extra snot.

2 Likes