SMU was left out of the CFP rankings. The AAC commissioner says it’s ‘ridiculous’

He’s not wrong. I wish he would have noted that Texas went from unranked all the way into the Top 20 for barely beating Kansas State at home.

Aresco said he believes there’s a double standard against “Group of 5” conferences at play, in the sense that four three-loss teams made the CFP rankings while SMU, as a one-loss team with a strong résumé, was left off.

“It is inescapable that our conference is the strongest G5 conference,” Aresco said. “And I hate to even use that term. We’re equal with the ACC. I think we’ve been better than the ACC in many cases this year. We’ve been as good as the Pac 12. … I hate this G5 label.”

He noted that the AAC’s nonconference record is 33-13 — a better percentage than the ACC and Pac-12. The league is also 27-1 against opponents outside the “Power 5”, including 14-1 against the Group of 5.

In the Sagarin ratings, a respected advanced metrics website, the AAC West is rated higher than both ACC divisions and the Pac 12 south.

11 Likes

And it’ll keep happening as long as the AAC has no voice in that committee room…and we know the cartel is not about to do that.

5 Likes

there are four 3-loss teams ranked and all are from b12

4 Likes

Letting a 3 - 7 winless conf. ECU team score 51 on them IN DALLAS didn’t help …

Yep NO ONE in the P5 universe recognizes the P6 status by the AAC … its a joke we need to get rid of … and we need to get OUT OF THIS CHUMPY conference ASAP if not sooner …

DOES ANYONE on this board REALLY want to stay in the AAC … OR … do we want to move on to the Pac12 or Big12 or ACC … else WHY do we have so many postings wanting to MOVE ON to better surroundings

1 Like

We have no choice but to stay in the AAC. If we had the option to move on, our administrators would have done it by now.

2 Likes

Or you could invest your time in college basketball where unlike football we are:

1. Good.

2. Get a chance on the national stage.

3 Likes

I agree with you Patrick but here is the main problem.
Aresco voted in favor of the cfp. He did so with the guarantee that the G5’s will be given a NYBowl.
He and his other G5’s commissioners only have themselves to blame. I find it highly hypocritical that he complains now when he full knew what the consequences of the cfp could be.
Why is he doing this? That is why I would like to know.
Now here is my biggest angst with this article. It greatly !@#ses me off.
The reporter should have followed up with this:
“Today would you vote for the CFP like you did a few years ago?”
…Reporter:
Mr. Aresco are you still there? Mr. Aresco?..
Phone company:
Please call and try again.

3 Likes

I really don’t believe he is angry at all. He is saving face to his next gig. These men are rich and educated. He has worked for the Network. Talking about he hates the G5 label. I see no lawsuits involved, so you are OK with it.

It is all about having two blue blood teams in your conference. No blue blood means no power.

1 Like

Can’t get one without having a chance at a playoff. They know they can be knocked off…not just about money, but prestige.

1 Like

Its a travesty.

We need Navy to knock off Notre Dame.

That said I do like the fact that they wipe a clean slate every week and rerank the teams from scratch, even if I do think their methodology is somewhat flawed.

1 Like

And then, we in turn need to knock off Navy for what will be a “signature” win over a ranked team for us.

Well…that…AFTER we get another signature win THIS week!

:wink::yum:

5 Likes

Beating them both (and Tulsa) to get bowl eligible would be the best November/Thanksgiving in a bit lol

It would be such good momentum/extra practice for next year, however unrealistic it may be.

2 Likes

Getting hungry now…I can smell the Turkey now…and the win!

This is the way America works, it really shouldn’t be a surprise. Those with the power manipulate the system to maintain and grow their power. What would shock me is if they weren’t doing this…

A Texas team that lost to TCU – a team that SMU beat. And, to use other’s logic, a Texas team that allowed 48 points to KU in AUSTIN!!!

6 Likes

Are you seriously asking that question? I guess you think it’s simple to make that move, huh? Uncle Tilman can buy UH’s way into any conference. The fact that it hasn’t happened should show you that it’s a major uphill battle.

1 Like

Aresco sucks! Get rid of his &$@.

1 Like

What shocks me is that our conference isn’t raising hell from the beginning about the Group5 label. We accepted it and voted for the CFP. Pathetic. We need to appease the fans and get into a real big boy conference to compete on the highest level of collegiate football.

1 Like

The fact that it hasnt happened shows we have to wait for the P5 GORs to expire.Quit acting like they can do it tomorrow if they want to…They cant…B1G GOR expires in 2023…PAC expires in 2024…ACC expires later but they could move if others like B1G and PAC do…It is only a question of waiting…

1 Like