So how good is Tulane?

They steamrolled Southern Miss, and have more than one game under their belt to our none.

This could prove to be a much tougher test than we imagined.

3 Likes

My biggest concern is that our kids will be playing their first game against a team that has played 3 games. Our guys have to reacclimate to real game speed which just can’t be replicated in practice. I look for a bit of adjusting in the first half, but in the 2nd half, we should take them down. One thing for sure, they always get up for us. But our kids should be foaming at the mouth to play a game and will be ready.

11 Likes

I expect a rough first half and a much better 2nd half.

I know some don’t like use of this narrative as it would imply that some games are more important than others, but I just have to say it…this is a revenge game! I can’t think of any better opening opponent for the guys. It’s the Coogs’ turn to derail Tulane’s season! Blow them out!

5 Likes

Tulane will be no gimmie…I expect team to be well prepared and itching to go. I also expect plenty of first game miscues. I just want a strong showing so don’t have to hear The Domesday Crew. Either way…Go Coogs

2 Likes

We’ll see what the wise guys think next week . I think we’ll be slightly favored for one of the few times this year. We need to get way out in the first half since we don’t seem to do well in the second half of games based on this staff’s performance last year

Second half performance in our games last season had nothing to do with our coaching or our staff performance but rather a serious lack of depth on our youthful football team. They were simply worn down by late in the game(s).

I really don’t expect to see that so much this season. Go Coogs!

6 Likes

I truly hope that our opponents think of our team the same way you do.

Tulane is not good this year. At least so far. They are 2-1 against teams with a combined record of 2-6.
They needed 20 unanswered points (14 fourth quarter points) to beat South Alabama, got shut out in the second half to lose to a not very good Navy team that basically didn’t practice at all leading up to this season, and were tied with Southern Miss half way through the 2nd quarter. Southern Miss is 0-3, their head coach resigned after their first game and one of their co-OCs is the interim head coach for the rest of the year. The vast majority of Tulane’s offensive numbers came from the Southern Miss game. On the season (3 games), they have thrown for 441 yards with a completion percentage of 43.4% and run for 898 yards, 430 of which came against Southern Miss. Tulane is not a threat through the air, so if our guys can tackle, we’ll be fine.

So yes, Tulane will have some games under their belt, but I’m not sure how positive that is for them. Our guys will be fresher and amped up to finally play a game. I think we’ll make a ton of mistakes and still win this one going away.

5 Likes

Good summary above. They have been inconsistent and undisciplined in their first three games. Typically, Tulane is plain bad until they play Houston.

2 Likes

I know this…With all the cancellations, we will be fired up and super ready to play in our first game…I think we beat them in a tough contest…

1 Like

They have a QB problem. Other than that, they are a very good team.

1 Like

We will be taking them to them woodshed I don’t care if they have played 10 games

1 Like

My thoughts as well. Tulane will be getting the worst of any opponent.

1. For what happened last year
  2. For it being our first game that was denied many times.
  3. For having to we are much better than 4-8

Tulane better keep that playbook as closed as possible vs SMU. Coogs are watching!

How good is Tulane? Good enough that they beat us a year ago. Willie Fritz is a good football coach. His team will be ready and more experienced on the field than ours. This is not the 1974 Bluebonnet Bowl, Tulane is no layup.

4 Likes

That was a year ago. New season new attitude.

4 Likes

I’m sure the coaches are reminding the players about last year.

1 Like

I would think the players don’t need reminding and are self motivated.

5 Likes

Nothing rooted in facts or reason, but I had a dream last night that the Coogs beat Tulane 41-40. :man_shrugging:

Also keep in mind they’re starting a true freshmen QB. Though he looked pretty good vs USM, I doubt Fritz wants him to try to shoot it out on the road against a revamped secondary in their second year of the system. We load the box and stop the run, and we win this one by a mile.

3 Likes