So I have a question

I’m not giving Rice too much of a chance any year, but there’s always a chance. If we only have a 10 point lead going into the 3rd quarter and turn the ball over 3 times, we could be in trouble. Talent isn’t everything. Not too long ago this board was over saturated with a particular QB’s 5 stars he was given in high school; that QB entered the game and turned it over more than a 3 star, 3rd string QB. We should still beat Rice, but the ball could bounce their way if we’re not too careful.

1 Like

If I were major I’d make the team watch that cusa championship game on a loop. I’d splice in scumlin leaving, interviews, quotes etc… they’d know who he is, what he did and how the majority of our fans feel. They would crush Arizona FOR THE FANS!

1 Like

Herm Edwards is coming to the Cage?

Oops. Fixed. I like herm. Lol.

1 Like

Well after looking a little more into FAU’s offense last year, King will be spending twice as much time handing off the ball than throwing it. So the best chance of Rice taking us down, is our running backs putting the ball on the ground multiple times. Car had one fumble lost on 80 attempts. Williams had one fumble lost on 73 attempts. If those two both fumble in the same game, it’s just not our day.

1 Like

Thats because they had a great RB and a QB who was very inconsistent passing. Some say their RB will be leaving early this year and will play in the NFL. Id hand it to him more plays than not too

What about 2015 Baylor? Russell and Stidham were both solid QBs and Baylor still ran at nearly a 2 to 1 ratio that year as well.

1 Like

In 2015, they had a WR playing QB much of the last 3.5 games of the season because Russell and Stidham (true freshman starting 3 games) were out. Did you see their bowl game that year? They basically ran the wildcat all game. Only had 18 passes thrown by 4 different players, but ran for 645 yards on 84 carries. Amazing coaching, but don’t expect that to be our offense.

Yes we’ll likely run quite a bit more than pass. That’s a Briles offense. But don’t expect it to be 2:1 unless our RBs really excel and King is inconsistent or bad. More likely around 1.25:1 to 1.5:1 depending on how much King carries the ball

I don’t think that is true. The RB was great yes and the QB wasn’t great every week but no QB is great every week. It’s still easy to find examples of games where the QB was better than should be expected and they still ran a lot more.

One example:
FAU vs Charlotte
Driskel was 18 of 22 for 245 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INT
Team rushing was 63 carries for 318 yards

FAU vs La Tech
Driskel was 14 of 17 for 221 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INT
Team rushing was 33 carries for 194 yards

I even tried to find a correlation between running game success and amount of carries but back to back weeks Singletary had only 17 carries averaging 7.2 yards and then 36 carries averaging 6.8 yards.

The one thing that doesn’t show up in stats, is how the defense lines up. So the run pass ratio might not be based on what’s working as much as based on how the defense lines up. Which logically, is the best way to have an effective run game and pass game.

Baylor was fairly balanced in 2016 even with a QB that ran quite a bit. Stidham was a true freshman in 2015 so that may have played into more running that year.

I love watching an O with a solid run game and downfield passing. Excited to see this next version of Cougars.

3 Likes

In 2016, Baylor averaged 10 less points per game in conference play than years 2010-2015. I don’t think that is the version of the offense we want.

I think there were good reasons for that. They opened a big bag of quit after they lost a game. They averaged 42 points a game the first 7 games (they lost the 7th) and 26 the last 6.

Either way, 35 points a game doesn’t sound too bad to me after last year. I’m surprised they kept it together as long as they did.

Well you also have to take into account that the second best team they played in the first 6 games was an SMU team that finished 5-7. They were closer to averaging 24 points against teams with similar talent.

Cynicism this time of year is boring/tiresome.

You don’t like me being a cynic about the 2016 Baylor team? What a strange criticism.

If you believe that, I’ll let you stew in your own juices.

1 Like

The best team they played in that period finished #11 in the country.

Not everyone they played in the last 6 games were good either. And, they lost by at least 3 scores in every game after their first loss except against WVU and their bowl game. That was after starting 6-0. I still think they quit and that was the biggest part of it.

This is one of the reasons I’m so excited about Briles. He has said often that he will take what the defense gives him. No more trying to force a run game between the tackles to “establish dominance up front” or whatever. He’ll recognize defensive alignments and take what they give us…like a smart coach!

2 Likes

Yea he seems like an awesome guy. I wouldn’t want to play for him. Looks like a tough son of a gun. lol

Lol Agreed. let’s hope it is our day.