So next season won't start at Fertitta Center?

Been there since the renovation? It is much better now.

Not really. They paid too much and I have to wonder why it took a year.

Of course, paying too much for things is normal at smu !!!

Moody was literally renovated the same as Cameron Indoor of Duke - both around 9k capacity.
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/10/24/Facilities.aspx

It was the Kettle Classic I believe. Salvation Army was sponsor.

No matter how much pressure you apply, the process still takes time. Since this project is in the Construction Administration phase, there may be Change Orders, RFIs from the Contractor to the Architect/Engineering teams that must be responded to in the appropriate time, Payment Apps that must be approved from Architect & Owner(UH) that must be approved at each phase so that Contractor & Subcontractors get paid for work that is done, and a bunch of other things that may be prolonging the timing of this project. Not to mention bad weather days that would also hinder the contractor’s team from getting things done in a timely manner. As a fan we want it NOW…in reality there are things that the fans can’t see other than the Contractor, Architects, Engineers, Subs, and UH. I’ve had an opportunity to help with some of the work (on the Architectural Side) on the new Optometry / Pharmacy facility at UH, and I can tell you personally, it is a process.

Kettle Classic…benefiting the Salvation Army. I remember the ‘Army’ ladies playing their bells or tambourines.

EDIT. …already posted. LOL. I should read the whole thread before replying :grinning:

1 Like

Commishbob, i remember one of the first Kettle Classic. Clemson and Iowa were 2 of the teams. Iowa was coached by Lute Olson.

1 Like

And we beat them as I recall… The link in JitterPug’s post had the story of the semi-finals when the Mississippi State coach got tossed. I had always remembered it as Shelby Metcalf complaining about rim holding and getting booted but now I know the truth. Memory is a tricky thing at my age. Good stuff.

1 Like

Coogs won… 62-52.

1 Like

Visited the renovation site Sunday. The water marks from about 15 feet of water inside the arena from Harvey are still visible. This is almost a complete gut job. New ticket offices, new concession stands, new home locker room, lots of dirt removed for new seating area. Appears all of the seating will be all new, with sight lines being given a major consideration. I think I remember hearing this area will have the closest seating to the court of any in America . . . . . Five big screens to watch the game plus smaller monitors for game viewing while in line to purchase ARA food. With that exception, everything else looks to be FIRST CLASS . . . . . Removing asbestos took several months. Averaging about 150 workers 5 days a week. Not sure if any were working on Saturdays but some volunteers helped with the tours . . . . . This will really be a building to be proud of . . . . .

1 Like

Yes, I was a part of the 3pm tour and I was simply blown away with the extensive detail and scope of the work!

They are planning to open the arena in early to mid December, after the AAC football title game. They want all the attention on basketball.

They also need to coordinate with Tilman’s schedule so he can be there! Working on a first opponent. Have been turned down by several who want no part of opening our building.

4 Likes

According to our construction guide, the complete asbestos removal process took right at 8 months. Granted, other work was able to be done during this process, but that figure helps explain the delay.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but there is no excuse. There is a contract and as such, it is on the General Contractor to finish on time regardless. The arena is “dried in” meaning a lot can be getting done regardless of weather issues. If they have to work in 24 hour shifts so be it.

Guess it was a good thing I didn’t tour. I wouldn’t have been able to hold back and not ask “how long did the construction company say it would take on their bid?”

I’d start asking other contractors for bids on finishing the job on time to light a fire under the current contractor.

First opponent? Anybody call UTSA?

I was involved in a public school construction project recently and the general contractor was required to provide a guaranteed maximum price, GMP. It doesn’t mean the project completes on time, ours was about 3 months late, but any additional costs associated with a delay are eaten by the GC, or passed on to the subs.

Anyone know if this project has a GMP? If it does at least we shouldnt have to worry about being kver budget.

In some cases, time is more important than money. Like having a house renovated before hosting a wedding. We are coming off our first at large bid in 25 years. Our first top 25 finish in over 30 years. It’s unfair to the team to have two home courts and it’s unfair to the donors to not get the premium seating they are paying for to start the season.

Like I said before, we were less than a year into construction and had to announce it not being ready on time. What happens if there is another delay and the season tickets are told they don’t get their seats until January or even later?

1 Like