So with the Rockets looking for a coach

Well I know I liked Cassell much better as a player and competitor than Lue.

Sam Cassell gives me AJ Hinch type vibes. He seems like an excellent coach.

1 Like

CKS to Rockets …

…not gonna happen !!

Absolutely not

This is not true ESPN. He was told “not to return”. The man said the other day that he hope to coach the Rockets right after that loss and he was happy with the team he had.

Should be in this Order:

Mark Jackson
Tyrone Lue
Sam Cassell
Bill Donovan
Nate McMillan

1 Like

Would you throw in the guy that Brooklyn fired so they could hire Steve Nash?

It was a mutual split

The coach wont matter if they don’t get some beef on defense. Davis and James made them look like high school kids when they went up the middle.

No I disagree. I rather coach in college to win. You can hand pick your own players and win even if you have to kick someone out of the team. The level of competition between the AAC vs NBA is ages of a difference. You get into it with a diva star player and your career would be over quick in the NBA. Pay is a bit different but not too extreme.

Coach is very close to a career worthy of the hall of fame. A few more successful years at UH should solidify his resume in that regard.

I have heard nothing about Sampson to the Rockets. I doubt Fertitta wants to cut 3 checks for 2 coaches, especially as much as he’s cheaped out on the Rockets so far.

2 Likes

I’m talking about the coaching lifestyle aspect.There’s a reason you haven’t seen Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan wanting to return to college. You can have a regular life in the offseason as an NBA coach. Also this Diva NBA star thing is overrated and dealing with 5 star parents is no better.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind Cassell if he and Morey will be on the same page. I’m wondering if they play to abandon small ball.

I agree… But honestly, I think Sampson is at a point were he’ll retire at UH given his age in 2 to 3 years. And maybe take a job as an analyst were the job duties or so are so much lighter if he decides to do that.

1 Like

I agree with you on that. In college, coaches can coach comfortably in there 70s so that is one advantage for college coaching. I just don’t see CKS going back to the pros. The Ark job was the big worry but I think he will retire from UH. He should probably get a statue if he keeps winning at this rate.

1 Like

True. And he seems so happy here with family. And let’s be real he’s the big man in campus.

1 Like

Bring in a Van Gundy (Jeff…not Stan) type and make Harden unhappy to the point where he demands a trade and then start over.

6 Likes

Problem with Van Gundy is: Too much Defense and no offense. I remember Houston just hoping to score 80 pts. By the end of the game. The team always seem depressed even when they won. I think Cassel will work for me.

I don’t think a Van Gundy will win – just need him to make Harden and Russ want to go somewhere else so Tilman is off the hook on why they dumped their superstars. And then they can rebuild around some high draft picks for two seasons. It won’t be pretty but they seem to be stuck at a level that cannot seriously compete for championships.

2 Likes