So with the Rockets looking for a coach

My take is Fertitta will look elsewhere for a new nba coach bc he doesn’t want to mess up the Coogs which he cares about and if he isn’t willing to add talent then I think he just gets a new coach to buy time.

2 Likes

I’m done with Harden. He’s 31, just trade him now while his value is still high.

5 Likes

I’m inclined to agree. Harden prospers in the regular season, but struggles in the playoffs. IMO, he doesn’t make those around him better which a true superstar is supposed to do.

1 Like

Daryl Morey analyzing current Rocket situation!

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1305595679776149508?s=19

2 Likes

A few thoughts

1. There will be a lot of really good options. I think Sampson could do really well but I doubt Tilman wants to gamble that Kellen will be a high level NCAA coach and Kelvin will be a high level NBA coach at the same time. I would be really shocked if that was the move. That said, if it happens I think Kellen has a good shot to be a good coach.

2. Mark Jackson should get another chance at some point but it absolutely should not be here with this team.

3. Most coaches think coaching in the NBA is much harder and a bigger grind than coaching in college. That said, it’s a different kind of grind. Van Gundy didn’t want to coach in college because he didn’t want to recruit.

4. Harden’s playoff woes are overstated. Look at all the doubles LA threw at him. The much bigger issues are Russ and Eric Gordon at their salary numbers. There’s no point in trading Harden to rebuild unless we got some unbelievably insane offer because the really bad trade the Rockets made to get Russ basically prevents a rebuild for like 4 years.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AdamJWexler/status/1305611943340843008?s=19

1 Like

Looks similar to my mini list.

1 Like

Sign me up for Sam I Am.

1 Like

I think I am leaning more on Sam Cassell, now.

2 Likes

There better not be any thought at all to bringing in Stan Van Gundy. Why in the world is he on this list???

3 Likes

He has (a great) history with the Rockets. Has history with San Jac. For me, he just feels like the right guy at the right time. It’s his time to get the keys to someone’s (Tilman’s) bus.

1 Like

I Second your feeling, same reasons. San Jac, Houston Rockets, our Glory years…Bring him in. I think he is ready.

1 Like

surprised Mark Jackson isn’t there.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1305221457669169154

3 Likes

Not sure, list/odds compiled by Vegas folks. I know on Natl broadcast JVG is always ribbing M. Jackson on how he hates to leave the West Coast to go do any games during Reg Season. Maybe they put that into consideration ! :smile:

1 Like

Hard for me to get on board with a guy who has been out of coaching for years though.

He’s stayed close to the game. The bigger concern with him is just a lot of supposedly negative feelings from the Warriors about aspects of his tenure and it also doesn’t look good that immediately after replacing him they went from middle of the pack West playoff team to dynasty.

He wouldn’t make sense for this gig but it would’ve made sense for someone like the Knicks to have given him a shot instead of hiring Thibs.

1 Like

Cassell was one of my favorite players when I was growing up, so the sentimental side of me wants to see him get this job. I’m leery about Ty Lue since all of his success with the Cavs came when he had LBJ in his prime.

4 Likes

“It is not a tougher grind than being a college coach,” Beilein said on Friday morning, inside Little Caesars Arena. “It’s a different grind. It’s a basketball grind and I love it.”

No longer does Beilein have to worry about recruiting or academics. He emphasizes that he was not running away from the college game or any of the responsibilities that came with it. But his new job is different and, so far, he enjoys it.

Why would 18mil be put towards Sampson then poach him right away