So you think it's down to 4?

Lincoln Riley

Unless we’ve been talking to a coach’s agent already

I think the first choice is to see if Dana will come. If he does, and everything works out money-wise, the search is over. If Dana doesn’t come, Miles may be 2nd on the list. If he doesn’t come, we’ll probably end up hiring CTO if he can convince Applewhite to stay or a good OC to come in. If Orlando decides to leave, we probably end up with Applewhite as the head coach.

1 Like

Applewhite winning the National Championship with U of H. A uta grad, banned from his alma mater. It would be the ultimate irony.

1 Like

Neal Brown has Texas ties and has done a great job turning around Troy with so little resources. It depends how he does in his interview.

Orlando winning a NC at UH while Herman is looking for a DC.

May be sweeter, but neither realistic. I still prefer the Orlando scenario.

What about Holgorsen with the Spavital brothers AND TO?!

I will be very surprised if we do not have other candidates in mind.

It’s Dana’s job
 he will probably get $3.5 million. His story has traction. They will offer Tod $1 million to stay, and I don’t know if that’s enough to keep him. The buyout for Dana the Ist 2-3 years is around $4-5 million. Dana wants to come to Houston and recruit. If there is smoke there’s fire. That’s the target that they are talking about. (Pure speculation on my part).

If we got a name as big as Les Miles, the only stipulation I want is the one that Tilman said, next coach will have a huge buyout.

You can’t hire a name like Les Miles and then tell him how to run the team. The only thing you can tell him is we are only interested in long term commitments. A coach that gets fired for losing to Wisconsin by 2 and at Auburn by 5, might not mind hearing a school saying “we are committed to you as long as you are committed to us.”

1 Like

That depends on if we get alcoholic or sober Sarkisian.

1 Like

If not Dana or Lane Kiffin then Blake Anderson is worth a hard look- successful head coach for 3 years including a Sun Belt Championship, social media savey who can pick up on HTown train and keep it moving

This. We don’t really do well here with pro set’s offensively. Can Miles adapt and hire a coordinator who runs a true spread? He couldn’t at LSU and that’s why he got fired.

Man, are we setting ourselves up for disappointment? I’ve got visions of HC Holgerson, OC Spavital and DC Orlando dancing in my head.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this a lot and how it affects recruiting. There are obviously some exceptions (Ed Oliver), but the general rule is that players with a legitimate shot of going to the NFL are going to go to P5 schools if they can. With a few exceptions, P5 schools are more likely to run NFL-type offenses than G5 schools. That means G5 programs, as a general rule, will not succeed in running pro-style offenses because they don’t get those types of players.

After so many years at LSU running pro-style offenses with pro-caliber players, I think Miles is going to have a hard time coming here and adjusting to the difference in talent. That’s why it is imperative that he find a strong OC who knows how to work with the talent we are able to get on a regular basis and then stay out of his way. I would rather see Holgerson than Miles.

1 Like

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRILES

Which one is the one that calls better plays, the alcohol or sober? We may need to have the Assistant’s box stocked with St Arnold.

1 Like

Honestly, Dana H. would be my number 1 choice right now, then probably Kiffin.

Dana H is my No. 1 choice. I hope it happens. I feel fairly confident it will. He’d kick ass here.

Hologerson just signed an extension today. He won’t even be interviewed. Briles is not going to be interviewed. They don’t think they can find out enough about Briles to be worth the negative media backlash to bother with interviewing.

So interviews that have been confirmed for next week: (could be others)
Orlando
Applewhite
Miles
Riley
Kiffin

Ugh. Well that blows.

You are right Dana H is out.