Soccer to Take On Sam Houston State (W 3-0) and Rice (L 3-0) Opening Weekend

SCOUTING THE BEARKATS

• Sam Houston State is entering its 12th season under Head Coach Tom Brown.
  • The Bearkats closed out their 2018 slate with a 3-12-3 overall record, including a 2-7-2 finish in Southland Conference play.
  • Sam Houston State returns 12 letterwinners, and welcomes 11 newcomers to its 2019-20 squad.

SCOUTING THE OWLS

• Rice is entering its first season under Head Coach Brian Lee.
  • The Owls finished out their 2018 season with a 7-9-1 overall record, including a 5-4-1 finish in Conference USA play, tying sixth place among 14 teams.
  • Rice returns 17 letterwinners, including seven starters, and welcomes 8 newcomers to the 2019-20 team.

2019-20 TEAM CAPTAINS
Houston Soccer is pleased to announce that Mia Brascia, Lauren Flowers and Amy Nguyen have been named team captains for the 2019-20 season.

Live Stats for SHSU game: StatBroadcast Live Stat Feed

Live Stats for Rice Game: SIDEARMLiveStats

SHSU is advertising that they’ll have video on their youtube channel:

3 Likes

Coogs go on the road and notch a nice 3-0 win to open the year.

1 Like

SFla vs Auburn came on youtube after the UH game. SFla is pretty good. There were at least 3 ladies that did not play on UH side that will be playing heavy minutes this year. Once again a Freshman scored.

3 Likes

Was very impressed with how we looked, especially considering key players like Brascia and Nguyen didn’t play in Huntsville.

There’s a skill and level of teamwork you didn’t see in the first 2 years of this staff that’s there now. SHSU was trying to play physical and press and the Coogs (especially the defense) weren’t really flustered by it. Play got a bit choppier in the 2nd half when the subbing was more aggressive.

Rice will be a really good test on Sunday, as they’ve been better than us most of our history of having a soccer team. I’m optimistic.

1 Like

*QUOTES FROM COACH *
“It sure feels good to get a win on the first game, and another shutout which is the most important part. What I talked about last time was being more efficient, and not creating as many chances. I think what I’m most proud of is that we did it together. We played as a unit and stuck to our game plan.” said Head Coach Diego Bocanegra. “They had a couple of good chances in the first half and Samantha Cude made a couple of big saves. Like I said, we took advantage of our chances. Overall, it’s early in the season and we’re still ironing some things out but we’re very, very happy to get the result.”

*HOW IT HAPPENED *

** The Cougars would score every goal in the first half of the match.*
** Kennedy Dahlin would connect with a pass from Desiree Bowen for her first career goal and the first goal of the match.*
** Desiree Bowen notched the second goal of the match in the 24th minute.*
** The final goal of the game was scored by Morgan Goode, with an assist from Desiree Bowen.*
** Samantha Cude played every minute in-goal for Houston, posting two saves.*
** The Cougars outshot the Bearkats, 13-8.*

OTHER NOTABLES

** Houston is now 2-1-0 in season openers under Bocanegra.*
** This marks the second consecutive shutout for Houston, as well as the second consecutive match finishing out with a final score of 3-0.*

https://twitter.com/CoogNation247/status/1164920260895674368?s=20

https://twitter.com/UHCougars/status/1165424308354768896?s=20

Rice has been scoring early each half this season. I suspect trickery.

Watch Live

Sorry just found out you have to sign up in order to watch.

1 Like

Any updates? Couldn’t make it to the game today. We just got back late from college station for soccer tourney.

HOW IT HAPPENED

*Rice would get on the board inside the 20th minute when the Owls scored off of a header that founds its way to the back of the net.
*The Owls would also score inside the 62nd minute to notch a 2-0 lead early in the second half.
*Rice would tally their final goal off of a penalty kick inside the 87th minute to win the match.
*Mia Brascia led the Cougars with four shots, two of them on target.
*Samantha Cude played every minute in-goal for Houston.
*The Owls outshot the Cougars, 11-9.

OTHER NOTABLES

*Houston is now 1-1-0 on the season.
*The all-time series between Houston and Rice is now 3-8-3.

UP NEXT
Houston will return to the Carl Lewis Complex for its home opener on Aug. 30 when it takes on Incarnate Word. The match is slated for 7 p.m.