DOES A MASK WORK??? IF THEY DO AND WILL KEEP THE VIRUS FROM
SPREADING. IT SEEMS VERY STUPID TO NOT BE REQUIRED TO WEAR ONE
IF IT WORKS. THERE USE TO BE A RULE YOUR RIGHTS GO 1/8 INCHE FROM
YOUR NOSE.( SOMETHING LIKE THAT)
MOST OF US DO NOT LIKE TO BE TOLD WHAT TO DO. HEY IF YOU CANNOT
ACCEPT THAT YOU GOT PROBLEMS. EVERYONE IS TOLD WHAT TO DO. YOUR
BOSS, HIS BOSS. EVEN THE PRESIDENT IS TOLD WHAT TO DO BY THE VOTES
HE GETS. SOME PEOPLE REALLY HAVE A PROBLEM DOING WHAT THEY ARE
TOLD. SURE DO MISS THE THOUGHT OF NO UH FOOTBALL.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen reports that the masks work to reduce the spread of the virus. Iā€™ve seen reports that they really donā€™t. Iā€™ve seen reports that to be effective, they must be changed after every outing coming in close proximity with others. Iā€™ve seen reports that only certain kinds work. Iā€™ve seen reports that it is better to let people mingle without them to build up ā€œherd immunity.ā€ All of these reports were by ā€œexperts.ā€

Regardless of which side one comes down on, there are credible arguments against it. So, I think most people make up their own minds depending on just how much fear the media has instilled in them.

Some people believe that the constitution is not to be suspended in any emergency. I fall into that category and balk at directives that usurp the rights given to each of us by the US constitution. We are free citizens, not subjects of the county judges or governors or presidents.

2 Likes

What about people who have difficulty breathing through a mask for various reasons?

A boss will tell people what to do, but they also usually pay them to do it. You suggest doing what your told without pay? That can bee a slippery slope.

We have far too many people in the country now who remind me of the Jews of Germany under the Nazis; they wear the masks for the same reason the Jews wore gold stars on their clothes - because they were told to do so!

3 Likes

Were they told that wearing gold stars could potentially save lives?

7 Likes

Well, Mikeā€™s comments are the same as Iā€™ve heard but I have also heard that the mask does more good when worn by a sick person than a healthy one.

Doctors wear masks during surgery not because of what the Doc might catch from the patient but because of what the cut open patient might catch from the Doc.

Iā€™m 60 so my age puts me in a high-risk category. Youā€™re older than me, I know, so you are too. But, there is nothing wrong with my immune system so Iā€™m not doing anything crazy because of COVID-19. Iā€™m doing the same thing I would do during normal cold and flu season. And, If someone in the office is sneezing or coughing, I politely keep my distance. The older we get the weaker our immune system so if I were in my 80ā€™s, I would be much more cautious and would probably wear a mask everywhere.

We donā€™t need the government to tell us how to handle diseases like this. The government maybe can subsidize the development of vaccines but common sense is really all we need in times like this.

Just my humble opinion.

3 Likes

Nothing exact available but they seem to help. If nothing else, it keeps people from coughing or sneezing all over the place which is important.

Donā€™t discount the psychological impact of reminding everyone that we are still dealing with something even when we are out. Itā€™s easy to lose sight of that.

I think this is a very important point at this time. I donā€™t believe everyone should be forced to wear a mask, but it is important not to just jump back to every day activities, which I think many will do. People should be able to do there business within reason, take precautions on spread if they have been exposed (ie stay home), and let life proceed.

Too many people are acting like this needs to be eradicated before going out in public, which will never happen. Overall heard immunity takes anywhere from 60%-80% of the population to be exposed. That needs to happen over an extended time period at a rate health care can keep up, which most of the US is at. People just need to be informed of true facts (not media propaganda), and act responsibly.

Extremes to either end will lead to no football season this fall.

2 Likes

Amazing that this is a political thread. Absolutely amazing. Yes you should wear a mask

4 Likes

I donā€™t know but Iā€™m in two high risk groups. So when I have to go out, I wear a mask. I think the complaints we see and hear about are from some of the more extreme demands for masks. Err on the side of caution. Thatā€™s my two cents.

1 Like

Iā€™m 73, have had 2 heart attacks, and have type 2 diabetes. Sometimes I wear a mask and sometimes I donā€™t. I surely donā€™t while just out on a walk.

1 Like

Thatā€™s perfectly fine, most everyone is on agreement that if youā€™re out for a walk not in a crowd s mall isnā€™t necessary. The odds of catching anything in that setting are incredibly low.

Really make are necessary in confined space where keeping distance and spacing are much more difficult.

Ehog: Inevitably so if this will turn political, either by accident or through flame throwing which is what happened here. Once you whip out Nazis and Jews your not making a salient point youā€™re throwing bombs and looking forward to the carnage.

1 Like

I am 72 and I wear a mask when I go out. I also social distance from people. But I work out of my house and have done so for a while. I am still planning on football this year and getting the same tickets for my seats. The others in my section are older and frailer than me so I will wear a mask for their sake as well.

OK team:

Just had to hand out 3 suspensions for this thread alone. If you insult a fellow poster or their post = suspension. Donā€™t insult, flag.

I hate the ban hammer. Yet it seems to be the only thing that seems to get some folkā€™s attention.