Special teams will enjoy added emphasis at UH

Hmmm…these are new names:

Sophomore Dane Roy is set at punter; Caden Novikoff “has been the most consistent” of late in his battle with Dalton Witherspoon is a top candidate for the kicker job.

On punt returns, Colin Wilder and Steven Dunbar, both of whom saw action last season, are the top candidates, with Texas State transfer Brandon McDowell also under consideration.

1 Like

From the article:
“Quite honestly, special teams is going to be the cool thing to do in this program,” Applewhite said. “If you’re not a starter on special teams, you’re not starting on offense or defense. It’s that simple. That’s going to be the culture of this program.”

OK, I’m waiting to see if Kyle Allen, or whoever is our starting QB, is out there on special teams. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Novikoff is a junior, having kicked for Trinity Valley last year.

1 Like

Novikoff is a junior out of Trinity Valley Community College. Last year, he was 17-19 on FG with a long of 44 and 67-73 on PATs.

McDowell looks to be a grad transfer (Non-scholly) from Texas State and is a Redshirt senior that primarily plays CB. Last year, he returned 25 kicks for 416 yards and 16 punts for 161 yards. As a CB, he has started the last 2 years; last year he made 41 tackles, 8 assists, 3 TFL and 3 Passes defensed.

Here’s a highlight video prior to last year

i don’t think the walkons have been added to the roster.

No, they haven’t yet. May see them on the roster this week with school starting.

McDowell looks like a solid add to the punt return spot if indeed a walk on grad.

I know you are being facetious but special teams includes the field goal unit and I have no problem with the coach making the starting QB learn to be a good place holder. It’s not a dangerous position and it can keep the defensive field goal unit on it’s heels wary of fake field goals.

Helps set up fake field goals too. This is something I had in mind for King.

Sumlin really put an emphasis on special teams.

Case was the holder for almost the entirety of his starting career, I believe.

2 Likes