Sporting News- Ranking of all 130 FBs Coaches. HC Applewhite #90

1. Major Applewhite, Houston (113)

Seems high considering Fritz-Tulane is 108 & Montgomery-Tulsa is 95. Both beat us with much less talent.

Maybe the USF, Navy, SMU wins made up for it.
AZ & Rice fired their coaches. ECU & Temple HCs ranked behind him.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/list/college-football-coach-rankings-2018-nick-saban-dabo-swinney-urban-meyer-kirby-smart-jim-harbaugh/pw0dkzocij0ozd5nodvbnlj8/slide/2

1 Like

They should have polled the Texas high school coaches. Top 10 easy.

4 Likes

You know, he has one year under his belt with a team that lost a whole lot of talent when he took over. The fact that such talent was leaving was not lost on his predecessor who was looking to leave as soon as he got here. Well, I think he will settle in and prove to be a good coach for us who will make us proud. I just hope that when he does, all of you CMA haters will have the charactor to admit your errors of judgement. Remember, LTH lost only 2 games less in his last year before jumping ship – and he did it with far superior talent than he left in the cupboard. All of the hate and sarcastic statements you guys spew does nothing positive for our team

8 Likes

Agreed Red.

First year as a HC. Let’s see what happens this year with an upgrade in coaches and players, tranfers ready after sitting a year and those grad transfers. 9+ in year 2 or better is the level we should be looking for and i think it is achievable.

Very well said Red. I 100% agree.

Furthermore there were a lot of close games that we lost. With a season under his belt I think those games swing in our favor going forward.

We were supposedly hiring a guy with experience. So two horrible losses wouldn’t have happened.

My biggest fear is that the upgrade in coaches gives us a winning season where briles gets poached and we are left with applewhite. And it’s not only my fear.

The very bad paid attendance last year showed that applewhite doesn’t have support among the ticket buyers. I’m surprised more people didn’t buy season tickets because of briles but I guess it’s a show me what you got reaction.

Oh… heaven forbid! A winning season?!? How dare Applewhite win!

3 Likes

I never saw a coach run, pass or kick a football in a game they coached. We have a coach and staff that can put our players in a position to win. When the kids come through I like their odds.

UH was special for me in the mid 70’s and still is today.

What did Applewhite do last year that put us in a position to win? I can name several things he did that set them up to fail. I’d like to hear the other side

nobody hating. his body of work speaks for himself. he was never an impressive OC and he hasnt been an impressive hc so far. idc about him being a first time hc. he inherited a talented team.

You completely neglected the point of that fear. A fear that is shared by many

Going 7-5 with 2 bad losses and he moves up 23 spots shows how little they thought of him last year

Agreed. Had to find a new QB and also people forget a little storm called Harvey that threw the whole city into chaos for a few months.

having a good OC will make a huge difference
If the defense isn’t stellar this year, we have a coaching problem

What you are saying (if you aren’t saying this, then it is poorly written), and I am not neglecting your fear point, is that you are scared that the University of Houston football team does well enough that other schools will come and try to poach our coaches - whether they be the HC, OC, DC, etc - after the season is done because they were successful! You are scared of the people we hired being successful.

That makes no damn sense.

You criticize CMA, but it is CMA who hired Briles. So now, you are scared that a CMA led team might win, because you are scared to lose Briles and we might be stuck with CMA afterwards - the same guy who had the foresight to make the Briles hire in the first place. You see how that argument doesn’t make sense to a rational human being.

Here is a secret, no matter who the HC, OC, DC, STC is, other schools are going to poach them if they can. It is ridiculous to be scared of success. Your dislike of Applewhite is irrational if you want the Coogs to tank because you don’t like a coach. You have lost contact with logical thought if you really want that.

I’m not sure whether you’re consciously missing the point or doing it on purpose but I’ll clarify anyway.

This year we have a great winning season and the mastermind behind the season, briles, is then hired away and we are left with applewhite and revert to last year’s team.

Having an albatross of a buyout because of applewhite means that we will not be able to offer briles as good of a financial package and the likelihood of demoting applewhite is not good.

Right here is where I am telling you that you are irrational. Why would you think we would revert to the 2017 version of the Coogs? The answer - because you don’t like Applewhite. There is nothing to indicate that if Briles were to leave, which isn’t even a given after only one year, that Applewhite wouldn’t make another successful hire for a new OC. You act as if a Briles-less Coogs would regress under CMA as a foregone conclusion.

1 Like

Because he did such a great job hiring an OC last year? An OC that generally has the same offensive philosophy that CMA seemingly prefers and was similar to what he ran when he was OC?

No, because he hired a good OC this year.

1 Like

Briles landed in our lap and hiring him was a no brainer.