Sports Media taking huge hits

https://twitter.com/sarafischer/status/1268939674447425537

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1268958708203020288

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1268954608006836225

Agree for the most part. Fortunately, very seldom does the Athletic fall into that category. From what I have seen, most of the writers that were let go covered small markets, such as those who followed teams such as Nebraska or Auburn. With no sports, no new subscribers. Killed their expansion model.

1 Like

Hurts for schools not in the “power 5” as the coverage maybe even worse now.

1 Like

It was never very good anyway for G 5.

3 Likes

Lol

Look at sportscenter on Instagram - it’s resembling nothing but Entertainment Tonight and insane highlight vids

Chasing celebrities at their photo ops eventually gets old but these online magazines and this younger generation aint gonna keep food on the table. This generation killed Lubys lol

3 Likes

I’d hate to see The Athletic go under. It is the only site I read daily. Been worth every dime.

3 Likes

I hope they all collapse. Why do we need sports opinion 24-7?

4 Likes

And some of us remember when the Entertainment Sports Programming Network started Day 1…with NO advertising. Zero.:smiley:

I like the comments of how we can take a break from hot sport takes and why do we need 24/7 opinions from people posting on a college football board in June during a worldwide pandemic and protests/looting/violence across the US! :rofl:

9 Likes

Right. If you want sports coverage that doesn’t consist of hot takes and click bait to survive The Athletic having financial issues is not good.

4 Likes

Just look at Coogfans and it is obvious our great writers are taking a huge hit too!

I like discussing sports but I have no interest outside of my teams. So I don’t care about what interests ESPN or radio stations. Sports used to be about your teams. They broadcast them to you and reported on them. They were a nice and welcome diversion. Then media itself glommed on to it and tried to be the entertainment too. And, to me, what goes on at Michigan or Utah is less important than reading “A History of Hunchback Nowegian Submarine Commanders.”

5 Likes

The Athletic has had some great pieces on UH sports. The last couple on basketball were better than anything I have read anywhere else. They don’t do the click bait stuff.

2 Likes

I am all for as many writers being employed as possible, as long as the market supports it. If the market doesn’t currently support their employment, I wish them well in finding new work or in starting their own business. Being unemployed sucks and is scary. I am sure they are just trying to support themselves and their families the best they know how.

4 Likes

If they are still doing a free trial or one free read, check out this article. This was the one that made me subscribe to The Athletic.

I’m fine with Cary’s position with one exception: Mike Lupica. I want him groveling for coins with a tin-cup behind the UPS station in the Bronx.

3 Likes

The site has some really good Coogs stuff here and there but it’s not common. I’m not trying to sell anyone on it and was even thinking of dropping my subscription but may hold onto it with the NBA potentially ramping up. However, if yours or anyones teams include the Stros, Rockets, Texans, etc. there’s a ton of really good stuff to read just for those teams. Or at least there has been.

The opposition to The Athletic on here seems like it’s own hot take quite frankly.

1 Like

Problem with these magazines is they forget there are tons of colleges out there but they never make any attempt to form relationships and grow readership

You don’t know who is reading

The Athletic is quite good. I could spend hours reading articles there, but then I enjoy almost all sports and can find a lot of interesting content. Their coverage of Houston teams is enough for me to pay for the service. These are tough times, though, with so much of the content source not happening.

1 Like

It’s not a magazine, it’s a website and I’m sure they’ve got pretty detailed web analytics tracking who is reading what. The desire some appear to have to see them burn because they have a few really good Coogs pieces throughout the year rather than I guess 24/7 exclusive Coog coverage is interesting.

3 Likes