Sportsmap article rebutts Duarte

President Khator is amazing!

5 Likes

I want Duarte to respond to this thread. His silence is not acceptable.

4 Likes

Where is Joseph Duarte?

Where is the Houston Chronicle?

Shh… he gone.

I appreciate that President Khator addressed this; “one step at a time” is probably the best we can do at this time.

We are in uncharted waters here and I do t think our Captain has a responsibility to answer every tweet or call from a dying industry like a newspaper.

Could you imagine the articles written about Dana telling his kids to not go a peacefully protest or attend a funeral. That would be front page Chronicle kind of news.

2 Likes

@JosephDuarte this is what real journalism looks like. Do your research. This is how you get Dr. Khator to respond to your articles in a favorable manner. You have burned that bridge.

1 Like

I’ve had one interaction with JD and it was over UH Tradition/Basketball when we were bringing back the dunk signs. Very favorable.

But I just popped my popcorn its time to watch :slight_smile:

1 Like

John Granato just did a MJ slam dunk over Duarte and Solomon!

2 Likes

Great article. Thanks for posting.

Yep, excellent leader.

She has long ago realized that to make it through difficult times it is one day at a time, no whinning, buck up, get knocked down or make mistakes you pick yourself and keep going forward tomorrow and in the end you’ll win. Lucky to have her!

2 Likes

I appreciate Joseph Duarte as a writer. He’s readable and fair. And, in this instance, he’s wrong.

As has been previously explained to us UH diehards on more than one occasion, just because the newspaper’s name is the Houston Chronicle and it is published in Houston, Texas doesn’t mean that it owes any favorable quantity or quality of coverage to the University of Houston. OK. I get it. The Chronicle is not the Austin American-Statesman, and UH isn’t the University of Texas at Austin. - Fine.

But, that is a two way street. UH doesn’t owe any return phone calls or other responses to the Chronicle.

Sure, the lack of any response from UH makes Joseph Duarte’s job more difficult; and his fellow UT alums at the Chronicle expect him/pay him to write something. So, he did. Because there was no actual sports activity to write about, he authored an article that trashed the UH administration for not responding to him.

Now, there is still no actual sports activity to write about. So, let me suggest that Joseph Duarte use this time as an opportunity to rebuild that bridge to UH that he torched with his spiteful article. It would be a better use of his time than waiting in line for a coronavirus test.

3 Likes

I always laugh at the comments, “It’s not my job to promote UH sports” by various members of local media. However, they sure seem to think it is their job to promote the Texans, Astros, Rockets, Dynamo, Longhorns, and Aggies,

10 Likes

Reassigned? Duarte should be terminated. The way he has covered the Coogs for the past year is shamefull.

1 Like

It is not their job to damage the program either but he has/had no problem doing that.

7 Likes

JD had been a good reporter for UH sports. I didn’t like all of his articles, but I always thought he was fair to our university.

But for some reason, he’s gotten a bit prickly with us lately and I don’t know if it has something to do with his relationship with DH or what.

The SportsMap article nailed it and points out that JD took an unnecessary and unfounded jab at us. And for what? Then, on JD’s twitter feed he’s been retweeting Baylor’s covid tracking tweets as if to say “this is one university that’s informing people the right way”. Sorry JD, I’m not sure you want to use Baylor as the standard for campus welfare and transparency.

JD needs to chill out and stop grinding his ax. I don’t fault Madame Khator or DH for ignoring him. No one wants to work with a journalist who’s out to get a gotcha moment.

12 Likes

There are bad actors in every profession, but I still don’t get the feeling that JD is one of those bad actors . Yeah, I don’t like every one of his article either, but he is free to ask almost anything he wants under the freedoms guaranteed to the press. Every administrator and politician should have (or learn) the skills to deal with so-called “gotcha” press moments. If that means that they don’t respond (like President Khator did), that’s okay, but let’s not automatically vilify the media for asking difficult questions.

Go Googs!

1 Like

It wasn’t the questions…those were legit. It was the p5 reference and “If you rushed student-athletes back to campus with a flimsy, inadequate and ill-conceived plan, why should parents and fans have trust in anything you do or say moving forward?” comments that rankle most and definitely hurt his credibility on this story.

4 Likes

It felt good for me when I sent him an email letting him know of my opinion of his opinion.

1 Like

Those comments are hard to read, I’ll admit, and it is hard when journalists mix their opinions (and biases) with the articles they are writing, but that is the nature of writing. If there are just questions and responses though, without the accompanying articles, we might not have newspapers.

The distinction between reporting and opinion have become increasing blurred in the media over the years. Both are needed. It’s when they are combined in a single story without acknowledgement of such, it detracts from both.

2 Likes