SS Ian McMillan from Scottsdale, AZ commits

He’ll join the team next year:

2016 West Academic Showcase Jul 23, 2016
PG Grade: 8
Ian McMillan is a 2017 SS/2B with a 6-0 172 lb. frame from Scottsdale, AZ who attends Chaparral. Medium frame with a solid, athletic build. Projects for additional size and strength. Ran a 6.99 sixty-yard dash. Primary shortstop, stays low while surrounding the baseball with active footwork. Clean, fundamental glove actions while funneling the baseball out front. Quick glove to hand exchanges while working through transition. Primarily throws across the infield with a three-quarters arm slot, but showed the abiliyt to change arm angles while throwing on the run. Created solid carry across the infield with accruacy to the bag, topped at 85 mph. Right handed hitter with a spread, straight stance and high back elbow set. Hands stay quiet at load and launch on a direct, compact path to contact. Barrel comes through the zone on a line drive plane producing solid bat speed to the pull side gap. Good barrel skills and hand control through the zone using the entire field in batting practice. Simple, repeatable swing mechanics that generated consistent gap to gap contact. Good student. Named to 2016 West Academic Top Prospect List.

That’s 2 SS’s this week. Are we expecting to lose Scheiner after this season?

The way he’s hit, he’ll probably get drafted.

Then again, they like to bring in guys that can play short and then move them around where they need them.

We also lose Connor Hollis after this year. There will be opportunities in the middle infield next year.

Hollis coming back just signed lease for next year with my son.

2 Likes

I think the only ones we would lose (barring attrition):

Senior: King
Drafted: Romero, Wong, Scheiner
Maybe drafted: Julks, Fletcher, Pulido

This is a very young team that will return a lot of its core next year. Making the tourney, especially with the Romero situation, is the goal, but this should be an even better team the next few years.

My mistake - I was thinking he was a Senior. Probably because of the medical redshirt. Awesome kid, BTW.