Staying at 11

ESPN may give us a mulligan going from 12 to 11 (I’m not sure they will, but they might), however I am pretty sure if we go down to 10 they are not going to let us split the same money more ways. Depending on what the numbers say, losing Navy could make us less valuable on a per-team basis even.

Other than that, I would be fine with this for the most part. We could actually set up mutually beneficial scheduling agreements with both Army and Navy if we were so inclined.

I doubt the conference wants to go to 9 conference games. But if you have ten you can do two divisions of five. That’s the route the Sun Belt went.

1 Like

If we are dropping someone, Navy would be pretty far down my list. Top of my list would be - Tulsa, ECU, and Tulane in that order. I’d love to get rid of all of three.

4 Likes

You don’t get rid of Navy. And I’m trying to understand why having 11 teams is so difficult.

4 Likes

I’d drop Tulane before ECU.

Tiny stadium, poor fan support.

4 Likes

Navy was never in a conference until they joined us. They spent over 100 years independent. They watched Army and AF spend time in conferences. They know what it’s like. They joined a conference for a reason. Independence was ok when Virginia Tech, Penn State, etc. were also independent, but when teams have to schedule each other twice and big conferences are looking at 10 game conference schedules, it’s not easy.

1 Like

I doubt the conference drops anyone with the next round of conference realignment potentially right around the corner.

3 Likes

Exactly. I’m sure the AAC is planning on at least two departures due to realignment. If you drop to 10 teams now you could be in a real bind in a couple years if/when Houston/UCF/Cincy/Memphis get their P5 golden tickets.

1 Like

It’s hard to schedule round-robin divisions with an odd number of teams, and if you don’t have twelve teams you are supposed to have a round-robin schedule (either two round-robin divisions or a complete round-robin schedule).

We will probably seek and get some sort of waiver though. I’m not sure the other conferences would want to make us expand.

ECU has hit the skids but when they’re back up they’ll have some of the best attendance numbers in the conference (they were typically #1 in Conference USA). Their football team will come back. Definitely prefer them to Tulane.

3 Likes

There is a strong argument for that. New Orleans is the only reason I put Tulane above them but I understand some will disagree with me on that.

3 Likes

We ain’t getting in the CFP while a member, and neither will anyone else. The AAC will not have a representative in the CFP, ever, as demonstrated by UCF’s run. Not one single team we could get will make any real difference.

Our goal is to leave the AAC. Should we get shut out of realignment, that is the time to worry about new members.

5 Likes

UCFs SOS was not CFP worthy IMO. Our 2016 would have been. I don’t think any G5 has made a compelling argument for the CFP yet. I don’t think anyone can say for sure that a G5 can’t make it but it would have to be a special set of circumstances.

That being said, you’re pretty much right lol.

5 Likes

Our 2016 schedule would have given it to us if we went undefeated.

3 Likes

The committee wouldn’t have given it to us at all.

3 Likes

Seriously guys. Don’t believe the bull that is being fed to you by the CFP. They will move the goal post however they have to in order to keep us out. That is the whole point of not having any defined criteria. If you really believe they would have given us a spot then you didn’t pay attention to how they ranked us or rather didn’t rank us with with that schedule in 2016.

1 Like

Yes, the perfect storm!

If, in 2016, if OU had not lost another game and if we had gone undefeated and the two of us were competing for the last CFP spot, Oklahoma would have gotten it and we would not have.

4 Likes

We were number 6 for 3 weeks I believe before we lost to NAVY…had we gone unbeaten, and beat number 5 Louisville, they probably would have ranked us 5, keeping us out of the CFP and reason because “Weak” AAC schedule…smh.

4 Likes

Before the playoffs, the year Boise beat OU, they had the best team in college football. 2008?

2 Likes

Lol No! The AP poll and Coaches poll have nothing to do with the CFP. The CFP has consistently ranked G5 teams lowere than the other polls. UCF has the highest ever ranking from them at #8 last year. That was after winning 25 straight games. UH did not make the first or final ranking despite our “superior” schedule.

1 Like