Still no US flag flying at TDECU :/

Why is it a fake problem? Having pride for my country and wanting to see the flag honored by being flown in the stadium is not too much ask for. Some posters obviously feel us Americans shouldn’t be so outwardly patriotic I guess. Never thought id get big long replies saying why it is ok not to fly the flag in the stadium. That is fine if you don’t think the flag is a big deal, so why even reply to this thread? I was more interested in getting others that feel like I do to reach out to the administration as well.

1 Like

Dude, find yourself a real problem like homeless children on the border, starving children in third world counties, feeding the poor and many other problems in the world.

I am actually working on getting my teaching certification, so don’t be all high and mighty to me about service and making a meaningful impact.

It’s possibe to care about starving children AND have a personal issue you want resolved. It’s not exclusive just like city council can worry about police pensions as well as adding road humps to keep traffic down.

4 Likes

True, True, but on the scale of 1-10, it’s a 1.

That is your personal opinion

The flag represents who we are. We are Americans. We are not Maltese or English. It is a gift to be able to show your patriotism not a burden. This is not about injustice or prejudice. Some do not agree about certain policies? Fine but never should the flag be taken hostage for reasons that have nothing to do with it. It is sacred.

3 Likes

I doubt the flag not being in the stadium is an attempt to hold it hostage. And it isn’t sacred nor some object to be worshiped or idolized.

Personally I don’t care about it being visible during the game or not since I don’t search for it to remind myself that I’m a citizen of the United States.

I won’t email anyone at UH to ask or demand that it be flown since it’s irrelevent to me but if thats what someone chooses to focus on then so be it. There’s other things I feel are more important like having at least one person in charge of refilling the water buckets so they don’t run out of water in the 3rd quarter.

2 Likes

I think it is time to end this conversation. I motion to lock this thread. Opinions have been made and heard. Contact the AD to express your thoughts in a respectful manner.

6 Likes

Go coogs!

I did contact the AD and was of course polite about it. I never imagined when I started the thread it would get so controversial. Oh well.

2 Likes

Well, the national anthem of the host nation is played before sporting events all over the world, not just the USA. Hell, the Indian National Anthem is played before Indian premier league professional cricket matches. And if you watch any films of that on youtube, you’ll notice that EVERYBODY stands.

That’s a nearly UNIVERSAL big-time sports custom. Not sure why some people here in the USA seem to feel that the USA should be out of step with the rest of the world and either not play the national anthem before sporting events, or, even worse, not stand for it.

Seems stupid.

I agree that there should be a flag flying conspicuously inside the stadium that people face during the national anthem. If they want to march a flag out with a color guard or unfurl one on the field, that’s OK too, but I’d still like to see a flag posted inside on a permanent basis.

I also agree that people should stand, remove their hats if they are wearing them, face the flag if physically able, and place their hands over their hearts, if possible, when the anthem is played.

The US Flag Code makes it clear that THAT is PROPER etiquette during a rendition of the anthem…NOT any other posture.

Kneel before God…but STAND for the flag.

Retired Army Lieutenant Colonel here…so don’t try and lecture me on service either.

4 Likes

Why did you mention the National anthem since nobody mentioned not playing it?

Since you did though we can begin the discussion of changing it to something easier to remember and sing.

America the beautiful has been my vote for years.

I mentioned it because Coogjazz said that he was OK with not playing it.

Go back and re-read. So yes, somebody DID mention not playing it. You just didn’t read very carefully, and are incorrect in that regard. You need my correction.

That said, I’m NOT OK with not playing it.

As for changing the national anthem, rather than a stupid British drinking song (“To Anacreon In Heaven”), I recommend “Hail Columbia,” which was pretty much our “unofficial” national anthem for most of the 19th century. A uniquely American composition that was first played at George Washington’s inauguration.

See here:

I like “America the Beautiful,” but the fact that it has a reference to a Supreme Being might not make it sufficiently inclusive.

How on Earth a stupid British drinking song (“To Anacreon In Heaven”) EVER replaced “Hail Columbia” as our national anthem remains a huge, unsolved mystery.

Someone did mention not playing it.

Like our Pledge of Allegiance?

A lot of unbelievers have a problem with that as well…and with “In God We Trust” as our national motto.

Personally, I’m OK with references to a Supreme Being in official US paraphernalia (Motto, Pledge, Currency, etc)…but a lot of people are not…and I’m trying to 1) avoid a controversy, and at the same time, 2) take away one possible argument that might be made.

I stand corrected. Someone did mention not playing the national anthem. Most people aren’t in the stadium or even in their seats for it so I can see how someone can go either way with it.

I posted the first year we were in TDECU about no U S flag and so many responded “who cares.” I contacted Cougar Pride and they followed up with facilities folks. I was told a U S flag pole was in the plans for year 2. I was also blasted in here there were flag poles out side the stadium and the flag is presented before the game by our “color guard.” BS I say - we need a U S flag flying inside the stadium with other appropriate flags. I have not been in any stadium other than TDECU that does not have a U S flag.

2 Likes

In that case it’s obviously not a priority and there aren’t enough customers who think it should be to warrant their attention.

I will add that hopefully someone at the University got back to you to acknowledge your concern. Even chuys Called and emailed within three days of my feedback complaining about their service