Stop the Coogs Run Game...Stop the Coogs O

I have watched it is all three recent losses to SMU, UCF, and Memphis.
We do our clock burning O, which I am in favor of.
The opposing D decides they are going to play their D straight up, not choosing to stop one facet of our O over the other.
So in the first half we run, and run, and run, and occasionally play action. And wow, we are winning (or close) at the half.
Then their DC says, Let’s focus on stopping the run. If they beat us with the pass, then so be it.
And they stop us on 1st and 2nd down for short or no gain. Now EVErYBODY in the stands knows we are going to throw. And we do NOT do this well.
Once an opponent decides to stop our run, our O is basically dead.

4 Likes

We also have a lot of new faces learning to block blitzing defenders as a unit and they have struggled as the guy next to them is different every week. You are right though Memphis just turned up the heat and we wilted.

2 Likes

We have no oline so I think DH is running the ball a lot to keep us on schedule so teams can’t send the ranch against this bad pass protection. It worked for about a quarter against Memphis and then they got the lead and we were forced to throw and they just pinned their ears back and thats when it got really ugly.

2 Likes

The run dictates everything.

1 Like

It’s been a challenge no doubt. As much flak as our defense gets, the offense has been just as bad overall. The silver lining is that there will be a ton of experience back next year to go alongside those high profile transfers.