Sumlin gone from aTm

I will go to the pit of misery if I can roll around in $10M.

1 Like

I’m convinced having more money than you know what to do with can make you do stupid stuff.

2 Likes

I’ll take ten million in the pit of misery. Lol

1 Like

Well, that explains some of the coaching hires we have seen recently. $7.5M or more over 5+ years for Jimbo? Guess they did not learn their lesson with Sumlin and his buyout.

Sumlin was fools gold. You’d be crazy to take him back without a Case or a Manziel.

1 Like

and a Kingsbury

1 Like

I think Bob Stoops retired because of health reasons. If the stress of coaching in Norman was too much, I’d imagine a hard pass on College Station. I don’t think he’ll coach again

Don’t get the Jimbo Fisher craze, hasn’t FSU been in decline the past 3 seasons? Yes he has a Natty, but hasn’t he done what they are firing Sumlin for, steady slow decline? What am I missing?

4 Likes

1 Like

Florida St despite having top 10 recruiting classes year after year lose their QB in Week 1 and look inept the rest of the season. Didn’t CKS just get fired for the Aggies issues at QB ?

1 Like

Jimbo and A&M AD (Woodward) have been buddies since their time at LSU together. Fisher is already due $5.5M per season through 2024 so the numbers that A&M has to offer will be stupid money especially considering they are on the hook for $10M to Summie. But I guess when you are friends and are spending other people’s money, it may seem like a good idea.

Then again, Woodward thinks A&M should compete for the SEC Championship every season and the National Championship from time to time so I don’t think I would let him be in charge of decision making…

Why is A&M a better job than Florida State? A&M hasn’t won a conference championship since 1998. During that same time the Noles have won 2 national championships and 8 conference championships.

Unless Jimbo feels like he needs a fresh start, I can’t see him doing anything other than using A&M to get a better deal at Florida State.

A&M is probably the 6th best job in the SEC, behind Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU and Auburn. If Tennessee gets their act together they are probably the 7th best job.

Aggies are going to have a meltdown of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest proportions when they end up with Chad Morris

I don’t envision Jimbo leaving FSU to go to the Farmers. Living in College Station would be hell compared to Tallahassee.

No coach that left here and has been added to the UH Coaching ring of honor shall ever return here to coach…

1 Like

POTD !!!:laughing:

Jimbo is getting 5.5 mil / year from FSU and ATM is offering 7.5 mil / year. What do you think most coaches would do?

Get a raise from FSU and a contract extension.

5 Likes

Well, Fertitta did not negotiate these terms:

"Options: If Fisher’s Seminoles win 9 or more regular season games, the contract is extended by a year. There are two of these options available, meaning that the contract is very likely to run through 2026. This means that Fisher is essentially guaranteed to earn $55M from the school, not including bonuses.

Buyout if Fisher leaves: If he elects to leave, Fisher’s buyout is now the sum of all monies remaining on the contracts of his assistant coaches not retained by the university.

Buyout if FSU wants to terminate: Fisher would be owed the entirety of the contract — 20 weeks worth paid for by the school, and the remainder by the Boosters.

As an example, If FSU wanted to go in a new direction six years down the line, and the two option extensions have been triggered, it would cost the school/boosters roughly $22M to buy him out in 2022."

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-noles/2016/12/19/14013468/jimbo-fisher-contract-salary-extension-fsu-florida-state

2 Likes

He got the raise last year. He won’t get another raise this year. I can’t imagine the alums and admin at FSU are any more difficult than those at aTm. And at $5.5 million per year, you gotta ask if another $2M really makes you any more financially secure. Hell, I retired rather than moving to Philly for my job when the office closed in Houston. I didn’t see how the added aggravation and stress was a good trade-off for maintaining my sanity. And I haven’t tallied $2M in my entire working life.

The offer must be flattering and at first blush, tempting. Unless he has a personal dynamic with FSU that is ugly and wants a fresh start, or family issues making a switch a good thing all around, I don’t see why he’d take the job. He could get FSU back to their usual awesomeness and maybe get Saban’s job when Nick hangs it up. He won’t win big in College Station, especially with LSU revived and Alabama being, well, Alabama. JMHO

1 Like